Maidenhead Utd 0-1 Boreham Wood
York Road Stadium
16th September 3.00
pm, Vanarama National League

It was a game of two penalties in Berkshire, as Boreham Wood secured their first away victory of the season in the Vanarama National League. A retaken Tyrone Marsh penalty on fifty-two minutes was ultimately enough to give Boreham Wood the three points but an injury time penalty save by Nathan Ashmore confirmed the win.

Luke Garrard named an unchanged line up from last Saturday’s 2-2 draw at York City.

The hosts had the better of the opening period of the first half as they attacked Boreham Wood with intent from the first whistle. They should have taken the lead within forty-five seconds when a mix up in the Wood defence created a clear-cut chance for Chanka Zimba but the Magpies forward shot wide with the goal gapping. The hosts continued, on the front foot and the Wood defence with the outstanding Chris Bush were able to keep Maidenhead at bay. The Magpies had another good chance on the half hour mark when a Charlee Adams corner was headed just wide by Zimba.

As the half wore on, Wood were able to get their game together and might have taken the lead on thirty-five minutes when Lee Ndlovu just failed to connect from a Bush pass. Ndlovu then had another good chance to score but his header was just off target. On the stroke of half time, the excellent Tom Whelan hit the outside of the post with a long range effort.


It was Boreham Wood who started to dominate things at the start of the second half and when the goal came on fifty-two minutes, it was a well deserved one. Tyrone Marsh who didn’t give the Maidenhead defence a moments peace all afternoon, was brought down in the penalty area and referee Steven Copeland rightly pointed to the penalty spot. Marsh sent former Boreham Wood trialist Craig Ross, the wrong way but the referee made him retake it due to player encroachment in the penalty area. Marsh’s subsequent penalty was too powerful for Ross and although he got a hand to it, couldn’t it out.

On sixty-four minutes Cameron Coxe went close to doubling Boreham Wood’s lead when played in by Marsh but his shot hit the side netting. Boreham Wood then started to drop deep, and it was the turn of the hosts to get on the front foot as they searched for an equaliser. Charlee Adams fired wide when well placed on sixty-nine minutes. Although the hosts dominated possession at this stage, the Wood defence was holding out well. However, that all changed in the fourth minute of stoppage time when Coxe brought down the dangerous Jay Mitchell-Lawson in the penalty area and left the referee no option but to point to the spot. Nathan Ashmore then made an excellent save from Charlee Adams spot kick to be a hero confirm the three points for Boreham Wood.

It was a gutsy performance and a much needed three points for Boreham Wood. Luke Garrard will want them to continue this form against Rochdale in the next match on Tuesday night.


Boreham Wood: Ashmore, Coxe, Ilesamni, Bush, Sass-Davies, Whelan, Marsh, O’Neil, Marsh, Ndlovu (Balanta 90), Abraham (Stephens 74)
Subs not used: Payne, Abayomi, Miller,

Maidenhead United:  Ross, Beckwith, De Havilland, Lokko (Asare 42), Parsons (Sho-Silva 64), Nathaniel-George (Omilabu 75), Ferdinand, Mitchell-Lawson, Clerima, Zimba, Adams,
Subs not used: Pettit, Kinsella

By Brett Lewis




Share This