Boreham Wood 1 Maidenhead United 0
Saturday, 10th February 2024, 3:00 pm
Mangata Pay UK Stadium Meadow Park, Vanarama National League

Boreham Wood managed to hold on for a 1-0 win against Maidenhead United in a game where they were up against it for the most part. In the end, a forty third minute Erico Sousa penalty was enough to separate the sides and give Wood their second Vanarama National League win in a row.

Luke Garrard made two changes from the starting line up from last Saturday’s victory at Woking with Matt Robinson replacing Angelo Balanta in midfield and Tyrone Marsh coming in for the suspended Lee Ndlovu up front. The hosts had most of the early possession and Chris Bush headed wide from a Erico Sousa corner after two minutes. Three minutes later, a lovely run and pass from Femi Ilesamni found Kabongo Tshimanga whose cross was just out of Tyrone Marsh’s reach. Boreham Wood had the ball in the net on fifteen minutes when an excellent pass from Marsh found Tshimanga who finished well but the linesman flagged for offside.

A minute later Wood keeper Nathan Ashmore denied Tobi Sho-Silva and Reece Smith’s follow up went over the crossbar. On twenty minutes Maidenhead had another chance when Ashley Nathaniel-George’s corner was headed over at the near post by Remy Clerima. Seven minutes later, Clerima was again off target with a header.  The visitors were now turning the screw and on twenty-nine minutes, Smith went on a mazy run through the Wood defence, but he let himself down with a poor finish. Wood took the lead on forty-three minutes when Sousa scored from the penalty spot after a handball in the Magpies penalty area.


The visitors came out for the second half on the front foot. Nathaniel-George went on a good run and managed to force a good save from Ashmore on fifty minutes. Eight minutes later, a good break for Boreham Wood involving Tshimanga and Sousa ended with Tshimanga hitting the side netting.  Jack Payne fired over for the home side on sixty-three minutes. A minutes later, the Magpie should have equalised when a Sam Barratt cross was on a plate for Sho-Silva but he couldn’t get any connection.

The Wood could have put the game to bed on seventy-seven minutes when an excellent Sousa cross was missed completely by Tshimanga before Femi Ilesamni could only shot wide with the goal gaping. Wood were almost made to regret that miss on eighty-three minutes when Shawn McCoulsky forced a good save from Ashmore. A minute later, the Wood keeper was forced into action again, this time, denying Will De Havilland. The Magpies forced a couple of late corners and put the Wood defence under consideration pressure, but the home team were able to hold out for an important victory.

It was a welcome three points for Luke Garrard’s men, against a good Maidenhead side. With three long distance away games to come, it was important for Wood to go on their travels with three points in the bag


By Brett Lewis

Boreham Wood: Ashmore, Sousa (Fyfield 90), Ilesamni, Bush, Sass-Davies, Agbontohoma, Payne, Sagaf, Robinson, Marsh (Appiah 61), Tshimanga (Balanta 88)

Subs not used: Coxe, Clayden

Maidenhead United: Ross, Asare (Adams 81), Beckwith, De Havilland, Lokko, Nathaniel-George (Zimba 71), Sho-Silva (McCoulsky 71), Pettit, Smith, Clerima, Barratt

Subs not used: Keetch, Massey

Man of the Match: Nathan Ashmore



Share This