Boreham Wood 2-2 Eastleigh
Saturday 28th December 2019, Meadow Park
Vanarama National League

Complete domination from Boreham Wood wasn’t enough to secure all three points but the draw sees our unbeaten run extended to nine games in the National League.

Piero Mingoia and Jamal Fyfield were on target for the Wood in a game where the home side thoroughly deserved to come away with a victory, but it wasn’t meant to be as Eastleigh stole a point with a late equaliser in the 92nd minute.

The game started with Boreham Wood applying pressure in abundance down the left hand side via excellent link up play between Femi Ilesanmi and Kieran Murtagh.

It took just eight minutes before the deadlock was broken when Kane Smith got down the wing well for the home side, drilled a cross across the face of goal where Max Stryjek could only parry into the path of Piero Mingoia, who made no mistake in finding the net. 1-0.

Unfortunately for the Wood, our injury woes continued early in the first half as Justin Shaibu took a knock in the 2nd minute and tried to play it out but was forced off just after the opener being replaced by the experienced Ricky Shakes.

Ilesanmi continued to beat his man and get down the line with ease but the resulting crosses failed to find a Wood player. This forced a change in shape for the visitors who shifted the vulnerable Seaman from right back to left back.

Kabongo Tshimanga picked up good positions and managed to get several shots off on goal but Eastleigh goalkeeper Stryjek dealt with them well.

Constant pressure from the Wood continued throughout the course of the first half but we failed to double our lead, which ultimately Wood would regret going into the interval.

Against the run of play, Eastleigh managed to level the scoring when Scott Rendell capitalised on the Wood’s failed attempt to clear and delivered a ball into the box which was met by the on-rushing Danny Hollands who flicked it past Nathan Ashmore. 1-1.

Half Time – Boreham Wood 1-1 Eastleigh

It was only two minutes into the second half before Wood restored their lead when Kieran Murtagh’s corner found the head of Jamal Fyfield who’s glancing headed flew past the Spitfires keeper in at the back post. 2-1.

Eastleigh full back Charlie Seaman had a torrid time on the right-hand side against Ilesanmi in the first half, and his nightmare continued in the second after he swapped sides as Kane Smith caused him constant problems.

Tshimanga worked tirelessly all game and showed no signs of slowing down when he created several chances for himself late on but consecutive spectacular saves from Stryjek kept the home side from scoring a third and extending their lead.

It was heartbreak for Wood late on as for the second time of the game, again against the run of play, Eastleigh equalised. A 92nd minute corner taken by Jack Payne was delivered into the box where Tyrone Barnett headed home through Nathan Ashmore’s legs. 2-2.

Wood had another great chance at with only seconds left on the clock. Murtagh’s corner fell in the box at the feet of Fyfield, who attempted to curl the ball into the top left hand corner. Fyfield’s shot looked destined for the top corner but a spectacular saved once again from Stryjek denied Wood from another dramatic late winner and all three points.

Full Time – Boreham Wood 2-2 Eastleigh

Boreham Wood: 17 Ashmore, 3 Ilesamni, 4 Ricketts, 5 Champion, 6 Stephens, 7 Mingoia, 9 Tshimanga, 10 Murtagh, 12 Fyfield, 19 Smith, 20 Shaibu. Subs: 1 Gregory, 2 Woodards, 8 McDonnell, 11 Marsh, 15 Shakes (replaced Shaibu).

Goalscorers: Mingoia, Fyfield.

Eastleigh: 1 Stryjek, 2 Partington, 4 Atkinson, 6 Boyce, 7 McKnight, 8 Payne, 9 Rendell, 10 Barnett, 17 Miley, 19 Hollands, 22 Seaman. Subs: 13 Flitney, 14 Bearwish, 15 Wynter, 16 Scorey, 23 Barnes.

Goalscorers: Hollands, Barnett.

Attendance: 601 (99 away supporters).

Match Report written by Joe Karadzas (Press Assistant)


Share This