King’s Lynn Town 0 – 3 Boreham Wood
Tuesday 14th October 2020, 7.45pm
The Walks Stadium, Vanarama National League

On the eve of Luke Garrard’s fifth anniversary as Manager, Boreham Wood celebrated by recording their first win of the season in what was to be honest, a straightforward victory in Norfolk. A goal from Matt Rhead and two from Kabongo Tshimanga were enough to seal victory in Boreham Wood’s first ever competitive match against Kings Lynn Town. If it wasn’t for some heroic goalkeeping from the Linnet’s Archie Mair, it could have been many more.

The home side went close with a free kick early on when Clunan shot over the cross bar. After ten minutes, a fantastic run and cross by Kane Smith was met with a firm header from Rhead but Mair in the Linnets goal somehow managed to keep it out. Rhead went close again with a header a minute later but this time was off target. The King’s Lynn keeper had to be at his best again a few minutes later when he denied Tshimanga who was one on one.

Just when it looked like it wasn’t going to be his night, Matt Rhead gave Boreham Wood the lead after 27 minutes when he finished well from another Kane Smith cross to score his first league goal for the Club. A few minutes later, when Tshimanga was in on goal, he was brought down by Archie Mair for a clear penalty which he dispatched with aplomb to give Boreham Wood a 2-0 lead.

Corey Whiteley had a good chance after 38 minutes but was denied by Mair before Tshimanga’s goal was correctly ruled out for offside a minute later. On the stroke of half time, former Maidstone United player Jamar Loza was sent off for the home side following some confusion from the referee who hadn’t originally realised that the yellow card he gave Loza was in fact his second one!

Following the half time break, Boreham Wood should have extended their lead but were somehow kept out by some heroic Linnet’s defending following a goalmouth scramble. Tshimanga did extend the Wood lead after 63 minutes when his excellent run and deflected shot went in. As the second half wore on Boreham Wood’s intensity dropped off as it was clear that the job was done. However, there were further chances for Francis-Angol and Tshimanga before referee Elliot Swallow brought proceedings to a close.

This was a thoroughly professional performance against a King’s Lynn Town side who are in their first season at National League level and know it will take some time for them to get up to speed. Boreham Wood can now go into Saturday’s tricky match away at Solihull Moors with renewed confidence.

Boreham Wood: Ashmore, Smith, Francis-Angol (Stephens 79), Ilesamni, Champion, Fyfield, Ricketts, Mafuta, Whitely (Mingoia 74), Rhead (Coulthirst 74), Tshimanga.

Subs Not Used: Woodards, McDonnell.

King’s Lynn Town: Mair, Jones, Brown, Smith, McAuley, Clunan (Carey 84), Richards, Loza, Kelly (Barker 82), Southwell (Marriott 73), Power.

Subs Not Used: King, Barrows.

Man of the Match: Kabongo Tshimanga.

Match report written by Brett Lewis (Non-League Paper & Wood Army member)


Share This