Hitchin Town vs. Boreham Wood
Wednesday 11th August 2021, 7.30pm
Top Field Stadium, Pre-Season Friendly

A disappointing Boreham Wood rounded off their pre-season programme with a 2-1 defeat at Southern Premier Division Central side Hitchin Town.

Wood playing without the recently departed Kabs Tshimanga were at best, lacklustre in the first period and were second best to their Hertfordshire neighbours. Boreham Wood had the first chance on ten minutes when Tyrone Marsh headed wide when well placed. Shortly afterwards, new signing Scott Boden headed straight into the arms of Hitchin keeper Charlie Horlock when unmarked. A minute later Luke Brown headed wide for the home side. A minute later Hitchin’s forward Brown game them the lead when he capitalised on an uncharacteristic error from Jamal Fyfield. On twenty-one minutes Boden played Jack Munns in but he dragged his effort wide. Two minutes later Gus Mafuta just missed the target within his header from a Frankie Raymond corner. On thirty-seven minutes keeper Horlock was equal to Marsh’s header before Mafuta had a similar header cleared off the line. A minute later Hitchin doubled their lead when Rio Dasilva’s header beat Nathan Ashmore following a corner. On forty-one minutes Alex Brown volleyed hit a well struck volley straight at Ashmore. Marsh had the ball in Hitchin’s net just before the interval, but it was ruled out for offside.

Luke Garrard rung the changes at half time with Mark Ricketts, Jack Mendy Mendy and Will Evans replacing Jack Munns, Femi Ilesamni and Frankie Raymond and to be fair, Wood were much better in the second half. Evans shot from distance on forty-eight minutes, but Horlock was equal to it. A minute later the Hitchin stopper saved well from Marsh. On the hour mark Connor Smith replaced Boden and quickly got into the action by supplying a great cross to Mafuta who headed wide. On seventy minutes an excellent run by Kane Smith was followed by a disappointing short from the former Hitchin Town full back. Four minutes later, a Mendy Mendy cross was missed by Josh Rees but put away by Tyrone Marsh to half Hitchin’s lead. Two missed later the dangerous Mendy Mendy delivered a cross that was deflected onto the crossbar and away for safety. On eighty minutes a Kane Smith cross was deflected again, onto the crossbar. Soon after, Mafuta hit the post with a header when well placed. Mendy Mendy’s effort was well saved by Horlock just before the final whistle and the home side held out for the win.

It was a disappointing performance overall from Boreham Wood, though they had enough opportunities in the second half to get something from the match. There is enough opportunity for Luke Garrard to get the team firing again before the big kick off at Weymouth in ten days’ time.

Boreham Wood: Ashmore, Ilesamni, Stephens, Fyfield, Munns, K Smith, Rees, Mafuta, Raymond, Marsh, Boden.

Subs: Green, Ricketts, Evans, McKenna, Mendy Mendy, C Smith,

Hitchin Town: Horlock, Ryan, Brown, Marsh, Webb, Furlomg, Marsh. Coldicott-Stevens, Stead, Brown, Dasilva.

Match report written by Aaron Bennis (Media Assistant).


Share This