Gateshead 1 – 1 Boreham Wood
Saturday 17th September 2022
Gateshead International Stadium, Vanarama National League


It was honours even at the International Stadium as Boreham Wood maintained their unbeaten away record with a hard fought 1-1 draw against Gateshead. The hosts led at half time with an excellent Lirak Hasani volley and Josh Rees equalised in the second period.

Wood Manager Luke Garrard named an unchanged starting line up from Tuesday night’s 1-0 win against Maidenhead United.

First Half

After a quiet opening where Boreham Wood controlled most of the possession, the hosts took the lead with a fantastic volley from the edge of the area by Lirak Hasani on fifteen minutes. The hosts then proceeded to control the first half against a lacklustre Boreham Wood.

Seven minutes later, Gateshead came close to doubling their lead when after a nice passing move involving Hasani and Greg Olley, Dan Ward fired over the crossbar. A minute later, a wayward cross from Will Evans, nearly caught The Heed keeper Dan Langley out but he was able to recover and keep it out. On twenty-seven minutes, Ward again found space outside the Wood penalty area but shot wide.

The Heed continued to dominate possession leading up to half time but were prevented from adding to their lead by an excellent Wood defence, marshalled superbly by David Stephens. The hosts were good value for their half time lead

Second Half 

Boreham Wood were much better in the second half. Two minutes after the restart, Dennon Lewis had Boreham Wood first shot on target, but his shot was comfortably saved by Langley. On fifty-one minutes, Josh Rees equalised for Boreham Wood when he converted a Lee Ndlovu pass.

Wood were now in the ascendancy and Rees nearly scored again three minutes later but was denied, this time by Langley. On fifty-seven minutes, Adam Campbell had a shot straight at Ashmore for the hosts. Two minutes later an Ndlovu shot was spoiled by Langley but Tyrone Marsh was unable to convert the rebound. On seventy-one minutes Ndlovu was denied by Langley at the near post.

As the match entered its final stages, the hosts again got the upper hand and forced a series of corners. They might have snatched it at the end but Hasani was denied by an excellent Ashmore save in injury time.

Boreham Wood weren’t at their best, but it was definitely a better second half showing after a poor first period. While Luke Garrard’s men have lost their 100% away record, there was fight and determination in the second half as well as a solid defensive performance that will please the Manager.

Gateshead: Langley, Tinkler, Storey (Mills 43), Bailey, Olley, Campbell, Ward, Harris (Blackett 77), Hasani, Magney, Daley (Yussuf 67).

Subs not used: Montgomery, Jarvis.

Boreham Wood: Ashmore, Ilesanmi, Evans, Stephens, Kelly-Evans, Lewis, Rees (Ricketts 83), Payne, Brunt, Ndlovu (Newton 86), Marsh (Elliot 78).

Subs not used: Stevens, Williams

Man of the Match: David Stephens



Share This