Boreham Wood 2-0 FC Halifax Town
Mangata Pay UK Stadium, Meadow Park
12th August 3.00pm,
Vanarama National League

Second half goals from Kwesi Appiah and Jamal Fyfield was enough for Boreham Wood to secure victory against FC Halifax Town at Mangata Pay UK Stadium Meadow Park. Luke Garrard named an unchanged line up from last week’s draw away at Gateshead. There were some changes on the bench though with goalkeeper Koju Abayomi and new signing Liam O’Niel replacing the suspended Timmy Abraham and the departed Dion Kelly-Evans

It was an even first half with both sides creating chances and both goalkeepers having to be at their best for the teams to go in goalless at the break. Boreham Wood started the better side and controlled early possession. An excellent dinking run by Erico Sousa and a shot, should have given Wood the lead on five minutes but it went wide. Three minutes later Tyler Golden fired wide after a good one two with Millenic Alli following a corner. On eleven minutes, after some confusion in the Wood defence, Nathan Ashmore had to bundle the ball away for a corner to prevent Rob Harker from giving Halifax the lead., Wood had a good chance to take the lead on seventeen minutes when Sousa went on another good run, this time creating a chance for Mo Sagaf but he fired well over the crossbar.

On thirty-five minutes Kwesi Appiah shot was well saved by Shaymen keeper Sam Johnson. From the resulting corner Johnson, denied Jamal Fyfield this time with an excellent save. Two minutes later Wood keeper Nathan Ashmore made an equally good save to deny Jack Evans. On the stroke of half time, Ashmore was called into action again, this time, saving well from Alli.


Following a quiet opening to the second half, Alli went close for the visitors on fifty-one minutes but fired over when well placed. Two minutes later Boreham Wood took the lead when Appiah got on the end of a Whelan free kick and buried his header beyond keeper Johnson to register his second goal in as many matches, both headers, for Boreham Wood. Five minutes later Halifax’s Jack Evans tested Ashmore from distance, but the Wood keeper made a comfortable save.

On sixty-one minutes, Boreham Wood doubled their lead. A Tom Whelan corner wasn’t cleared by a static Halifax defence who then allowed Jamal Fyfield to slot the ball home. This second goal, coming soon after the first really settled the game as a contest. The visitors however had a positive end to the match as they tried to scabble a goal to make life uncomfortable for Boreham Wood. On eighty-six minutes, Adam Senior came close to halving the deficit, but Ashmore produced a quality save to deny him. Halifax forced a success of corners, but a resolute Wood defence successfully kept them out.

It was a good day for Luke Garrard’s men. It was a good all-round performance from the team and a positive start to the season with four points gained against two good sides. With Solihull Moors coming to Boreham Wood on Wednesday, they’ll want to keep it going.


By Brett Lewis



Outfield: All white; GK: All orange Outfield: All blue GK: Orange, black, black
Starting XI: Starting XI:
1 Nathan Ashmore 1 Sam Johnson
3 Femi Ilesanmi 2 Tylor Golden (Oluwaburi 73′)
5 Chris Bush 3 Ryan Galvin (Wright 59′)
7 Tom Whelan 5 Adam Senior
8 Mo Sagaf 6 Jamie Stott
10 Tyrone Marsh (Ndlovu 60′) 7 Angelo Cappello
12 Jamal Fyfield 8 Jack Hunter (Cosgrove 90′)
15 David Agbontohoma 9 Rob Harker
16 Charlie Owens (O’Neil 72′) 11 Millenic Alli
19 Erico Sousa (Coxe 78′) 12 Jack Evans
21 Kwesi Appiah 16 Jordan Keane
Substitutes: Substitutes:
2 Cameron Coxe 10 Jamie Cooke
6 David Stephens 17 Max Wright
9 Lee Ndlovu 19 Aaron Cosgrave
13 Koju Abayomi (GK) 22 Andrew Oluwaburi
17 Liam O’Neil 22 Jo Cummings
Match Officials:
Referee Sam Mulhall
Assistant Referee 1 Andrew Gray
Assistant Referee 1 Peter Wilson
Fourth Official Colmon O’Meara
Star man: Jamal Fyfield
Attendance: 903



Share This