Dorchester Town 1-4 Boreham Wood

Match Report

By Grant Morris

On a Sunny day in Dorset the Wood put on a performance that doesn’t justify their league position.

Ian Allinson made one change to the 0-2 defeat against Havant & Waterlooville. New signing Loick Pires partnered Kudus Oyenuga upfront meaning Wycombe loanee, Junior Morias drops to the bench.

It was eighteen first half minutes which decided this game as the Wood ran into an early three goal lead courtesty of goals from Montgomery, Oyenuga and Whichelow.

Dorchester started the game the brighter and could quite easily of had the lead in the second minute, Yeoman beat Morgan down the right got to the byline fizzed the ball across goal but thankfully for the Wood defence there were no Dorchester players on the end of it.

It took until the 8th minute for the side to really get going Lossaso beat the offside trap was one on one with Russell but couldn’t find the target.

A Minute later and Woods first real attack, dominant Cox won the ball in the centre midfield position played a delightful ball to Montgomery who took a touch and from 25 yards put the ball beyond Walker-Harris to give the Wood the lead.

From the Kick Off Dorchester played the ball long, the loose ball was picked up by Reynolds who saw Pires making a run, the ball into Pires was flicked on and Oyenuga got on the end of it and calmly poked the ball home giving Wood a two goal lead.

After two attacks and two goals Wood ventured forward again with the influential Cox who was fouled 25 yards out. Wood had Oyenuga and Whichelow over the ball with the latter showing his class putting the ball into the top corner. Wood with three attacks lead three – nil with 18 minutes played.

A rare Dorchester attack followed, Whichelow was intercepted in his own half and, Left Back Smeeton took the ball on and his shot was high and wide.

Cox who was involved in all Wood’s quality play again won the ball in midfield laying in Montgomery who slid the ball into Pires who was fouled just outside the box. A yellow card for Smeeton and Whichelow’s resulting free kick was narrowly wide.

A rare mistake followed by Reynolds however centre half partner O’Loughlin was on hand to sniff out the danger.

It could have been four minutes before the break Whichelow went down the right and shot at goal but a cut back would have given Cox a simple tap in.

The second half began as the first ended, Wood unable to get any fluency going forward which was evident in the first half. For Dorchester it was a case of damaged limitation as they tightened things up.

Pires did manage to get down the right holding his man off before shooting off target. Five minutes later Oyenuga was put through on goal but his shot was deflected onto the bar by Walker-Harris, Whichelow was onto the rebound but from eight yards out, but his effort was miles over.

With 25 minutes to go Allinson brought on the lively Angol for Pires who worked the line well with Oyenuga.

Seventeen minutes from time Dorchester were thrown a lifeline as Charlie O’Loughlin gave away a cheap penalty by holding onto Nathan Walkers Shirt. Crittenden made no mistake from the spot.

It was the lively Angol who set up Woods fourth, he never gave up on a lost ball, nipped in front of the defender and cut the ball back, it looked as though Morias was going to strike it but a clever dummy left the way for Montgomery to side foot home for his second of the afternoon.

Wood managed to see out the final five minutes off the game with relative ease although required a last gasp challenge from Garrard in the box to preserve the three goal lead.

Boreham Wood; Russell, Nunn, Morgan, Garrard, O’Loughlin, Reynolds, Whichelow (Noto 84), Cox, Pires (Angol, 66), Oyenuga (Morias 80), Montgomery.

Subs not used: Courtnage, Brown

Goals, Montgomery 8, 85, Oyenuga 11, Whichelow 18

Man of the Match: Sam Cox


Share This