Dagenham & Redbridge 1-3 Boreham Wood
Chigwell Construction Stadium
24th October 7.45pm, Vanarama National League

Boreham Wood turned in their best performance of the season to come from behind to beat Dagenham & Redbridge in East London. Luke Garrard made one change from Saturday’s 1-1 draw at Wealdstone with Billy Sass-Davies coming in for the suspended Cameron Coxe.

Boreham wood came out on the front foot and nearly scored after three minutes. Erico Sousa went on an excellent run from his own penalty area and supplied Matt Robinson on the right who’s cross was nearly turned in by Angelo Balanta. Four minutes later Lee Ndlovu shot wide following some good approach play. The hosts then started to threaten and it was former Wood midfielder Josh Rees who just failed to turn in Myles Weston’s cross. On fourteen minutes a lovely move involving Jack Payne and Ndlovu resulted in a good chance for Tyrone Marsh but he fired over.

Against the run of play, the Daggers took the lead on twenty minutes when former Boreham Wood forward Inih Effoing finished well from close range. Three minutes later, Effiong nearly scored again but he failed to take advantage of a good Josh Hare cross. On the half hour mark Wood had a good chance when Sousa crossed for Ndlovu who was denied by Elliot Justham on the Daggers goal. Two minutes later an excellent Chris Bush cross was nearly glazed in by Marsh but he hit the outside of the post. Almost straight away, Matt Robindon struck the Dagger post with an excellent shot. On thirty four minutes, Wood finally got their reward when a Sousa free kick was turned in by Billy Sass-Davies who produced a powerful header to give keeper Justham no chance. Five minutes later, the Dagenham goalkeeper had to be at his best to deny Angelo Balanta, what would have been an outstanding goal. Wood continued to press before the break and Balanta had another good chance on forty-three minutes but fired over when well placed. Sousa then cut inside and shot straight at the goalkeeper.


Boreham Wood came out for the second half with the same determination and deservedly took the lead, three minutes after the restart. A great ball from the outstanding Sousa, picked out Ndlovu who finished well past Justham. Wood kept the pressure on the hosts as they pushed forward. Balanta finally had the ball in the net on sixty-four minutes but it was ruled out for offside. Four minutes later, Wood did add a three goal, with an outstanding finish from Sousa from the edge of the area. It was a goal his performance deserved.

The third goal knocked the stuffing out of the host as they were unable to threaten a comeback. Boreham Wood were in total control and may have added a fourth on eighty-one minutes but Marsh headed just wide.

It was a thoroughly dominant performance from Luke Garrard’s men as they controlled the match from start to finish. The response when they somehow went behind was great to see too. Erico Sousa was on a different level. Boreham Wood welcome an in-form Southend United to Mangata Pay UK Stadium, Meadow Park on Saturday. What a game that should be!!


By Brett Lewis

Boreham Wood: Ashmore, Sousa, Ilesamni, Sass-Davies, Fyfield, Bush, Payne, Robinson,, Marsh, Balanta, Ndlovu,
Subs not used: Abayomi, Whelan, Abraham, O’Neil, Griffith

Dagenham & Redbridge: Justham, Hare, Johnson (Kendall 45), Eastman, Hessenthaler, Vincent (Mussa 45), Rees, Effiong, Weston (Sears 70), Francis-Clarke, Ling
Subs not used: Page, Longe-King,

Man of the match: Erico Sousa


Share This