Bromley 2-3 Boreham Wood
Saturday 11th September 2021, 3.00pm
Hayes Lane, Vanarama National League

A stoppage time winner from Tyrone Marsh secured Boreham Wood’s fourth win in five Vanarama National League matches this season to leave Wood top of the table for a couple of hours until a Dagenham & Redbridge win in the late game against Kings Lynn which pushed us into second place.

For the fourth Vanarama National League match running, Luke’s Garrard named an unchanged starting line-up and the way they played, it’s easy to see why. Josh Rees had a half chance on six minutes but he headed into the side netting from a difficult angle. Five minutes later an excellent cross from Kane Smith was headed onto the crossbar by Scott Boden. His frustration was relieved to some extent by the linesman flagging for offside, meaning it wouldn’t have counted anyway. On sixteen minutes Boden did open the scoring when he latched onto a Josh Rees pass to finish expertly beyond Mark Cousins in the Bromley goal. Boden even glanced at the linesman to see if he would raise the flag again before celebrating his first goal for the club. Two minutes later Nathan Ashmore made an excellent save to stop Harry Forster getting an instant equaliser for the home side. Bromley started to come into the game now and James Alabi’s goalbound effort was brilliantly cleared off the line by Will Evans. Evans then headed over the bar from a corner when well placed. On forty-one minutes Boreham Wood missed a gilt-edged opportunity to double their lead. A poor clearance by goalkeeper Cousins when straight to Tyrone Marsh who played in an unmarked Josh Rees who somehow shot wide from six yards out with the goal gapping.

The second half didn’t start well for Boreham Wood when Bromley equalised two minutes after the restart. Billy Bingham somehow found an angle in the Wood penalty area and finished well beyond Ashmore. This was the first goal Wood have conceded in over four hundred minutes of football this season. The Ravens started to turn the screw and looked the more likely to score the next goal. However, Josh Rees had other ideas. On fifty-four minutes he restored Boreham Wood’s lead when played through by Marsh. Twelve minutes later the deadly Michael Cheek made it 2-2 with a bullet header from a Louis Dennis corner. Again, the home side looked more likely to score and they very nearly did on eighty-nine minutes. However, Ashmore once again produced a quality save to deny former Wood player Corey Whitely. In stoppage time Tyrone Marsh sent the visiting supporters into raptures and when he played a great one two with Kane Smith before finishing coolly past Cousins in the Bromley goal to give Wood all three points.

There seems to be a tremendous spirit among Luke Garrard’s small squad at the moment. It was so nice to see the celebrations among such a close nit group of players. It was also great to see how clinical we were in front of goal, despite our alleged shortcomings up front. Luke Garrard and his team will go into Tuesday night’s encounter against Halifax Town in buoyant mood

Bromley: Cousins, Partington, Bingham, Sowunmi (Bush 46), Arthurs (Trotter 46), Cheek, Alabi, Dennis, Webster, Whitely, Forster (Mnoga 82).

Subs not used: O’Brien, Skeffington.

Boreham Wood: Ashmore, Ilesamni, Evans, Fyfield, Mendy Mendy, K Smith, Ricketts, Rees (Stephens 90), Raymond (C Smith 70), Boden (Clifton 82), Marsh.

Subs not used: Green, Munns.

Star Man: Tyrone Marsh.

Match report written by Wood Army member Brett Lewis.


Share This