Swans Finally Grounded!

Vanarama Conference South.

Boreham Wood 3 Staines Town 0,

by John Mead.

 Wood’s eight year wait for a League victory against The Swans is finally over!

Ian Allinson made one change to the side that recorded a similar score line seven days earlier, resting Josh Hill for the debut of former St Albans City Captain Ben Martin.

The first half went with the form book, with the power and pace of the table topping forward line proving too much for the struggling Swans. Staines shot themselves in the foot after just 94 seconds when a defensive miss-kick from Luke Neville sent Matty Whichelow through. He danced round keeper Jack Turner before finishing well from a tight angle.

Junior Morias looked to have been hauled down on the edge of the area but the officials failed to agree with referee Mr Barrow waving play on against the verdict of his assistant.

Graeme Montgomery and Morias saw shots blocked, before Stephane Ngamvoulou who created all of the Swans chances beat Montgomery at the fourth time of asking out on the right wing. His telling cross to the far post hit  Martin before falling for Elliot Charles who was a post’s width from an equaliser.

Wood were very much in the ascendancy against a side lacking guile in front of goal, but were guilty of over playing at times in attack..

Turner then denied Callum Reynolds with a point blank save at the other end, before the industry of Junior Morias was rewarded with a goal after 36 minutes. A route one clearance bounced kindly for the forward who burst through to squeeze a shot beyond Turner.

Turner prevented a certain third just minutes later when Montgomery’s swerving effort from the left needed a fingertip save. From the resultant corner Martin saw his header strike the top of the crossbar.

The introduction of Calum Willock after the interval totally transformed the fortunes of Marcus Gayle’s side. They had an effort ruled out for offside and after 49 minutes Ngamvoulou’s ball to the far post from the left looked to have provided Willock with a goal, only for Martin to produce a last gasp goal line clearance. James Russell then saved at the feet of Willock before Wood got the momentum going again. Staines battled for every ball, yet Wood were always a threat on the counter attack. Whichelow blasted just over before Morias missed the target twice in as many minutes when well placed.

Willock and Charles continued to make their presence felt in front of the Wood goal, before Morias limped out of the game after hitting a fierce drive that was well saved .

The game was finally up for Staines in stoppage time. Lee Angol played a quick one two with Whichelow which sent him through. He rounded The Swans custodian who brought down the League’s leading scorer, who added his 16th goal of the campaign from the penalty spot.

The win extends Wood’s lead at the top to six points, whilst the visitors, who looked nothing like a bottom of the table side can take some pride away with their second half performance.

Speaking after the game Ian Allinson summarised, “ I felt we made it hard work for ourselves. We did not move the ball quickly enough in the final third and therefore had just a two goal lead at the interval. They got forward much more quickly after the break and both Calum Willock and Elliott Charles caused us problems. We also struggled in the middle of the park at times. It was a tough game but I am extremely pleased with the clean sheet and full credit to the players. They dug deep and ensured we got maximum points from this rearranged fixture.”

Fans Man of the Match: Boreham Wood: Ricky Shakes.

Teams: Boreham Wood: Russell, Garrard, Brown, Cox, Martin, Reynolds, Whichelow, Shakes, Angol, Morias ( Toomey 87), Montgomery ( Thomas 76).

subs not used: Lipman, Hill, Courtnage.

Staines Town: Turner, Brewer, Neville ( Willock 46), Ngamvoulou, M’Boungou ( Bassett 90+4), Ifil, Lodge, Aribo, Rose ( Pashaj 62),                 Charles, Worsfold.

Subs not used: Felix, Boakye.

Referee: Mr S Barrow.


Share This