Magpies Steal Wood’s Glory. 

The Skrill South.

Boreham Wood 2 Maidenhead United 2,

by John Mead.

Wood threw away an early two goal lead in a game that neither side could really afford to lose. If football matches were thirty minutes long, Wood would surely sit top of the table, yet the opposition was allowed back into the game with some sloppy defending. Two magnificent saves by Elijs Putnins, the woodwork twice and a goal bound effort from Sam Cox that hit Matthew Ball denied Ian Allinson’s side a much needed win.

Billy Lobjoit enjoyed a start alongside Matty Whichelow and Matthew Ball, with Graeme Montgomery rested, Greg Morgan unwell and Austin Lipman left on the bench. The selection had a positive effect with Wood rushing into a two goal lead inside nine minutes. The first after six minutes was a freak goal. Ben Nunn delivered a free kick from just inside the Magpies half. It came back out of the box via a defender as far as Ball. He sent a wild volley back into danger that was probably destined for somewhere between the left hand goal post and the corner flag until it struck the unfortunate Mark Nesbit on the head flying straight past his own keeper.

Wood’s second three minutes later was a “proper “ goal. The Ball and Whichelow combination worked to great effect in the first half. Ball’s penetrative run down the left channel allowed Whichelow to overlap and a perfect pass allowed the ex Watford player to take the ball in his stride before smashing a shot beyond Putnins into the top right hand corner.

Richard Pacquete almost got on the end of a Leon Solomon cross, a welcome break for the visitors from a very one sided opening to the game. David Moli then provided an assist for Ball who shot just wide, before Moli went even closer, beating Putnins with a twenty five yard effort that hit the post.

Moli then finished a brilliant Wood move down the right involving Nunn and Lobjoit. He found himself enough space to hit a stunning drive that was met by a superb diving save from Putnins.

The Wood defence then committed the cardinal sin of allowing Pacquette space in a dangerous position. The former professional who has played for twenty four clubs including four spells at Maidenhead showed his quality with the goal of the game. His strike from the edge of the area was perfectly executed, looping over James Russell. Wood continued to press with Moli wasting a free kick, before Cox was denied by his own team mate. Johnson Hippolyte’s side were fired up by the goal and began attacking at pace and in numbers meaning the half time whistle could not come soon enough for Wood.

Wood surrendered the lead after 50 minutes. The ball was crossed from the left then headed wide out to the right by Callum Reynolds. Luke Garrard attempted to head clear with the ball falling at the feet of Adrian Clifton who was afforded time and space to fire home from a central position beyond Russell.

An even game ensued with both sides desperate for the win. Putnins saved superbly tipping over at full stretch an effort from Lobjoit before Moli saw his shot blocked by a defender. Putnins saved his side again when good build up play led to a shot from Reynolds that looked to be destined for the back of the net, denied by a diving save that clawed the ball off the line.

Into injury time Wood won a free kick thirty yards from goal. Austin Lipman curled the ball over both the bar and Putnins but was denied by the crossbar , leaving Wood feeling hard done by.

Team: Russell,Nunn, Jones, Garrard, O’Loughlin, Reynolds, Ball (Montgomery 87), Cox, Moli (Sterling-Parker 87), Lobjoit, Whichelow (Lipman 87),

Subs not used: Noto, Courtnage.

Bookings: Nunn.

Goals: Boreham Wood: OG 6, Whichelow 9.

            Maidenhead United: Pacquete 34, Clifton 50.

Wood Man Of The Match: Matthew Ball.


Share This