Pre Season Friendly.

Boreham Wood 3 Ebbsfleet United 0,

by John Mead.

The only clue that this was indeed a friendly were the number of second half substitutions and even those were brief interruptions to a fine competitive game of football between two classy sides.

For Wood it was a classic performance. Three shots on target and three goals, accompanied by discipline and team work that ensured the visitors suffered their first defeat of a promising pre season.

The first appearance of Charlie MacDonald in a Wood shirt was well worth the wait. It took the 34 year old ex Brentford favourite just 9 minutes to open his account. Until then the visitors had started the brighter, looking good value for the bookies choice for automatic promotion.

Danny Haynes had an early chance for the visitors, yet his ball into danger lacked conviction and was easily dealt with by Preston Edwards.

The move that led to the opening goal started with Wood struggling to clear. With the Wood defence playing a high line Scott Doe skied his cross field ball which needed a headed intervention from Callum Reynolds, finding Danny Woodards. He appeared to be boxed in on the touch line, however his astute overhead flick was perfect for Graeme Montgomery who sent a visionary curling ball across the face of goal from the left. MacDonald showed his pedigree in one touch, taking the sting out of the pass to confidently place it beyond Brandon Hall.

Haynes then picked up a loose ball from Reynolds and bore down on goal, only to be clipped by Billy Clifford who earned a booking. It spelled danger for Wood with Jordan Parkes on hand, but he hit the wall from twenty five yards out.

Wood created another chance when Ricky Shakes wrestled possession turning defence into attack. Sam Cox and Clifford combined with Luke Howell cushioning a ball into the path of Montgomery who hit a fearsome volley just over the bar.

The game continued with an intensity, with Wood improving by the minute. Parkes had another opportunity to shine for The Fleet from a central free kick but skewed his shot wide. Their best chance of an equaliser came two minutes before the break. Doe was dispossessed by Danny Kedwell who teed up John Paul Kissock. His on target effort was met by a superb flying save from Edwards, in action against his own club.

Wood increased their lead soon after the interval. Montgomery, who had been the source of panic in the Fleet defence with his dangerous deliveries got the goal his performance deserved. Woodards played a ball down the line for Howell who effortlessly set up Montgomery whose first time low struck effort found the bottom right hand corner of the net.

Wood went on to dominate the game, with the substitutions having little effect on the momentum they were now building. Hall had to quickly reposition himself to keep out a deflected Ben Nunn shot as Wood showed the visitors how to keep the ball. Wood crowned a fine evening when late on Harry Crawford clashed with a defender just inside the area. The referee played the advantage allowing Montgomery to lash home the loose ball beyond Hall, capping a fine all round team performance against a very strong and capable Ebbsfleet side.

Team : Edwards ( Russell 45), Nunn, Woodards ( Garrard 77), Cox (Thomas 69), Doe, Reynolds (Hill 66), Shakes, Howell (Morias 81), MacDonald ( Crawford 45), Clifford (Whichelow 61), Montgomery.

Bookings: Clifford.

Goals: Boreham Wood: MacDonald 9, Montgomery 48,88.








Share This