The Skrill South

Boreham Wood    3    Eastbourne Borough    1

by John D. Gill

Boreham Wood recorded another great victory on Wednesday evening, when they beat promotion chasing Eastbourne Borough 3 – 1 at Meadow Park.    In fact Wood led by that score after only thirty-three minutes of the game.

Once again Wood started the game on the attack and were rewarded with an early goal after only five minutes, when Josh Hill played a long ball forward to Ricky Shakes and he headed down for Graeme Montgomery to fire a tremendous left footed shot past Craig Ross into the far corner of the net.

Six minutes later the visitors were back on level terms at 1 – 1 when the ball was played over the Wood defence and the lively Elvis Hammond nipped in to lob the ball over the advancing James Russell and into the net.

Greg Morgan then received some lengthy treatment from the Physio for a leg injury, before Wood regained their lead after twenty-three minutes.    The Referee spotted Lee Angol being held back by the visitors’ Captain, Ian Simpemba, in the penalty area and awarded a penalty to Wood.    Angol stepped up to take the kick and sent goalkeeper Craig Ross the wrong way.

Eastbourne Borough quickly retaliated and left back Sam Cole raced clear on the left and sent over a powerful cross which James Russell caught at the near post.    Wood then gained their first corner kick of the game midway through the half.    Montgomery played the ball short to Ben Nunn but his cross was headed clear.    Then a Matty Whichelow shot from twenty yards went high and wide of the goal.

In the thirty-third minute Kudus Oyenuga made the score 3 – 1 to Boreham Wood.    Lee Angol and Graeme Montgomery created an opening for Oyenuga to shoot, but Craig Ross dropped the ball over the goal line.    Wood now had total control of the game.    Half Time:    3 – 1

Wood Substitute Mark Jones replaced the injured Greg Morgan at the start of the second half.

Eight minutes after the restart, following a free kick, Eastbourne Borough’s most dangerous forward, Elvis Hammond, had the ball in the Wood net, but his effort was ruled out for offside.

At the other end Ricky Shakes was prevented from scoring by an alert piece of goalkeeping by Craig Ross, following a Graeme Montgomery left wing cross.    Lee Angol had a shot blocked as Wood continued to attack, without the success of the first half.

A Ben Nunn move on the right ended with a cross that took a deflection behind for a corner, and just eluded the diving Kudus Oyenuga, at the far post.

Eastbourne Borough had no answer when they attacked and the Wood defence led by Callum Reynolds and Josh Hill were defiant throughout.

The visitors applied some late pressure, but the score remained at 3 – 1.

Team:    Russell, Nunn, Morgan (Sub – Jones 45 mins.), Cox, Hill, Reynolds, Whichelow, Shakes, Oyenuga, Angol, Montgomery.

Subs (Not used):    Noto, Pires, Brown, Courtnage.

Booking:    Oyenuga.

Goals:    Boreham Wood:    Montgomery 5, Angol 23 pen, Oyenuga 33.

Man of the Match:    Callum Reynolds.


Share This