Bath City 0-1 Boreham Wood
Twerton Park, 9th December 3.00pm
Isuzu FA Trophy, Third Round

Boreham Wood succumb to a disappointing defeat in Somerset in the FA Trophy Third Round against National League South play off contenders Bath City. It was a late Dan Hayfield goal that won it for the hosts.

Luke Garrard named an unchanged starting line up from his side’s victory in Boreham Wood’s last game against Woking, two weeks ago. New loan signing Jahmari Clarke takes his place on the bench alongside Mo Sagaf who returns after a three-month injury lay off.

There was no sign of what was to come as Boreham Wood started the brighter of the two sides and had the better of things in the first half. Tom Whelan went close on five minutes but failed to get any real power in his shot. Five minutes later, Bath’s Jordan Thomas fired a free kick into the Boreham Wood wall before Dan Hayfield’s wayward shot went well over the bar. On twenty-four minutes, Angelo Balanta played the ball into Erico Sousa who forced a good save from Romans keeper Will Buse.

Thomas had another chance for the hosts on thirty-five, following a long ball forward and despite holding off the Wood defence, he was unable to generate any real power with the shot. Nathan Ashmore, nevertheless, made a good save. Three minutes later, Charles Clayden’s cross from the left, just evaded Lee Ndlovu at the far post when all the striker needed was a touch.


The hosts came out for the second half full of attacking intent and very quickly, Luke Russe forced a good save from Ashmore. Four minutes later, Ndlovu was in on goal, but somehow scuffed his shot wide when well placed. Almost immediately Cody Cooke forced another good save from Ashmore, following a purposeful run from Jordan Thomas. On fifty-nine minutes, Ndlovu played in Balanta whose shot was deflected wide. A minute later, Chris Bush was off target with a header.

Thomas went close again for the Romans was again denied by Ashmore, this time with his legs. With just four minutes of normal time remaining, Bathy City got their winner. An excellent pass from the back by Danny Greenslade picked out Cooke who in turn, played in Dan Hayfield whose excellent finish gave Ashmore no chance in the Wood goal. Bath were good value for their lead. For the final four minutes and the four minutes added time, Wood offered very little attacking threat and the hosts held out comfortably the win and a place in the FA Trophy Fourth Round.

It was a disappointing day for Boreham Wood in a competition that they rarely seem to do well in. Luke Garrard’s men will now only have the league to concentrate on where they will be wanting to pull away from the bottom end of the table. They will need to play a look better than this to do that.


By Brett Lewis

Boreham Wood: Ashmore, Sousa, Clayden (Coxe 75), Ilesamni, Bush, Sass-Davies, Payne, Whelan, (Robinson 65) Balanta (Clarke 65), Ndlovu, Marsh
Subs not used: Abayomi, Stephens, Sagaf,

Bath City: Buse, Raynes, Greenslade, Dyer, Parselle, Clark, Hayfield, Cooke, Smith (Wilson 71), Thomas, Russe
Subs not used: Batten, Frear, Lines, Thorn,

Man of the match: Nathan Ashmore



Share This