The Skrill South

Basingstoke Town 1-0 Boreham Wood

Match Report

Boreham Wood will be disapointed to come away from The Camrose empty handed after being the better side for the majority. Wood’s downfall in recent weeks has been the inabilty to score goals and that came back to haunt them today. Neither side really troubled the opposition keeper and a nil-nil would have been a fair result.

The deadlock was broken in the 85th minute when Reynolds who was running towards his own goal was bundled in the back by sub Matthews when trying to clear and turned the ball into his own net giving Russell no chance, appeals for a foul were waived away by Referee Hulme.

The game begun in very wet conditions as there was constant rain prior to kick off which had players from either side unable to stay on their feet. Wood started brightly although it was Wes Daly who had the first shot on goal, being fed the ball by Partridge he shot from distance although off target.

Daly was again invovled this time it was a very late over the top tackle on Cox which earnt the midfielder a caution, which on another day could easily have been a dismissal.

Wood were in control of the game, a flowing move which started with Cox who played in Morgan down the left flank he went past his man but his cross failed to get past the first man and was cleared.

Then followed Wood’s best chance of the game – Nunn on an overlap got his cross across and Moli who was unmarked in the box headed over from 6 yards.

Moli who worked hard all game was through 20 yards out after a mis-clearance by Gasson but the youngster on loan from Wolves got the ball stuck between his feet and couldn’t get his shot away.

Morgan gave a foul away on the left which gave Basingstoke a chance to get the ball into the box, the initial ball in was cleared by Garrard, which fell to the lively Mcauley who had a shot which was deflected for a corner.

Basingstokes best chance of half fell to Mcauley played in by a lobbed ball from Daly but Russell was out quick to nulify the danger.

With half time approaching Town had one final chance a corner from the left gave Mcauley a free header and on the turn Partridge shot wide.

The second half began very much like the first with Wood having control of the game, Morgan intercepted a Basingstoke attack, played in field to Montgomery who tried to find Morgan who continued his run but was cut out by smart.
Reynolds fouled the speedy Williams 30 yards out, a cheeky free kick followed but the danger swept away by O’Loughlin

Basingstoke proberly enjoying their best period of the game had a chance through Daly which was brilliantly blocked by Garrard. It allowed Wood to counter through Montgomery then Lobjoit with the latter having a shot on goal which was deflected for a corner.

In a 5 minute spell both Jenkinson and Ize were replaced by Matthews and Dunn. Within minutes of coming on, Matthews had a great chance, a ball cut back from the byline and his shot produced a great save from Russell.

Wood themselves then made a double change, Montgomery and Moli making way for Simmonds and Ball.

A ball over the top from Gasson had Reynolds running towards his own goal, with pressure from Matthews, a nudge in the back as Reynolds tried to clear sent his clearance past the helpless Russell to give the home side the lead.

A third change then followed as the Wood tried to get something from the game Jone replaced by Sterling-Parker.

The ball was played into Nunn who passed to Ball who jinked past one had a shot which was deflected and Wells had to change his feet quickly to push the ball to safety.

The Final whistle was then blown which condemned the Wood to a undeserved defeat in the Skrill South.

Team: Russell, Nunn, Jones (Sterling-Parker 86), Cox, O’Loughlin, Reynolds, Montgomery (Ball 80), Garrard, Moli (Simmonds 80), Lobjoit, Morgan

Subs: Simmonds, Ball, Jibodu, Sterling-Parker, Courtnage

Man of the Match: Sam Cox




Share This