Barnet 6-0 Boreham Wood
The Hive
23rd December 3.00pm, Vanarama National League

It was a pre-Christmas horror show from Boreham Wood as they succumb to an emphatic six goal defeat against local rivals Barnet, in a match they’ll want to forget. Luke Garrard made two changes from last week’s win against Oxford City with David Stephens replacing the injured Chris Bush at the back with Angelo Balanta replacing Jahmari Clarke, further forward.

In a positive opening period, Angelo Balanta went close on four minutes but fired straight at Bees keeper Laurie Walker. Four minutes later, an excellent pass from former Wood midfielder Zak Brunt picked out Harry Pritchard and just when it looked like his shot was going in, Nathan Ashmore produced an outstanding save to tip the shot onto the crossbar and out for safety. On fourteen minutes, Barnet’s top scorer, Nicke Kabamba evaded Boreham Wood’s offside trap to give the hosts the lead.

Boreham Wood had a good chance to equalise on twenty-seven minutes when, following an excellent run and cross by Lee Ndlovu, Balanta missed again from close range with Walker producing a straightforward save. Two minutes later, Barnet doubled their lead when Kabamba’s miss hit shot was turned in by Harry Pritchard. On forty-three minutes, Kabamba added his second and Barnet’s third when he once again sprung the Wood offside trap. This time, he finished emphatically into the top corner, giving Ashmore no chance in the Wood goal. The hosts nearly added a fourth, just before the break when Kabamba again, ran in on goal, he took it around Ashmore, before Erico Sousa made a goal saving interception to keep the score down to 3-0 at half time.


The second half couldn’t have started much worse for Boreham Wood when three minutes the restart Jack Payne was given a straight red card for a foul on Anthoney Hartigan. The Wood captain will now miss the next three games due to suspension. Five minutes later, The Bees added a fourth when former Wrexham right back Reece Hall-Johnson finished well at the far post. On sixty-three minutes Kabamba came close to getting his hattrick but just failed to connect at the far post.

Five minutes later, Kabamba did get his hattrick from the penalty spot after he was fouled by Billy Sass-Davies in the penalty area and made no mistake from the spot, sending Ashmore the wrong way. Barnet then added a sixth goal on seventy-five minutes when debutant Jordan Maguire-Drew finished well from close range, soon after coming off the bench.

It was a day Luke Garrard and his team will want to forget but will also need to reflect on when chewing their Christmas turkey, before the important match against Kidderminster Harriers at home on Boxing Day.


By Brett Lewis

Boreham Wood: Ashmore, Coxe, Sousa, Ilesamni, Stephens (Clayden 46), Sass-Davies, Payne, Whelan, Balanta (Robinson 53), Ndlovu (Clarke 66), Marsh

Subs not used: Abayomi, Sagaf, Clark

Barnet: Walker, Hall-Johnson,(Cropper 69), Coker, Collinge, Okimo, Gorman, Brunt, Pritchard (Maguire-Drew 60), Hartigan, Oluwo, Kabamba

Subs not used: Stead, Kanu, Stevens,



Share This