Barnet 2 – 3 Boreham Wood
Saturday 18th December 2021, KO 3pm
The Hive, Buildbase FA Trophy 3rd Round

A hattrick from man of the match Tyrone Marsh, including a quite brilliant second half winner, ensured a depleted Boreham Wood made it through to the Fourth Round of the Buildbase FA Trophy and in the process knocking Barnet out of a cup competition for the second time this season.

Luke Garrard made three changes to the side that won so well at Woking last Saturday with Frankie Raymond, Dennon Lewis and Adrian Clifton coming in for Will Evans, Josh Rees and Scott Boden.

Wood showed attacking intent early on when Dennon Lewis’ cross was cleared well by the Barnet defence. However, despite early pressure from the Wood, it was the hosts who took the lead on seven minutes when Rob Hall’s deflected shot found its way past Taye Ashby-Hammond in the Wood goal.

Mitch Brundle nearly doubled the Bees lead three minutes later but shot just wide of the Wood goal. When it looked like the hosts were taking control of the match, Wood equalised. Following some excellent hold up play from Adrian Clifton, Tyrone Marsh struck a really good effort from outside the area which gave Aston Oxborough no chance in the Barnet goal.

On 28 minutes an excellent Mark Ricketts pass found Marsh whose effort was saved this time by Oxborough, however just a couple minutes later Wood took the lead. Clifton was fouled off the ball by Sam Woods in penalty area and referee Tom Bishop had no hesitation in pointing to the penalty spot. Marsh made no mistake from twelve yards when his fierce shot struck the underside of the bar before crossing the line.

On 35 minutes, Clifton headed over from a Lewis cross, a chance Wood would rue as just a minute later, the hosts equalised when Rob Hall played a great ball through to Wes Fonguck who finished well past Ashby-Hammond. Kane Smith hit a well struck shot just over on 40 minutes as Wood looked to regain their lead. The Barnet players were shouting for a penalty just before the interval but in truth, it was a well-timed tackle from Jamal Fyfield.

At the start of the second half, an excellent cross from Lewis was well met by Clifton but Oxborough did enough to deflect the ball away for a corner. On 52 minutes the Bees were down to ten men when Mitch Brundle was given a straight red card for an elbowing incident. To the Bees credit, for the next period of the match, Barnet had the bit between their teeth and caused the Wood defence many problems. Ashby-Hammond somehow got his hand to an Adam Marriott shot when it looked like the net was about to bulge.

However, after 65 minutes, Tyrone Marsh scored the winner and what a goal it was. Marsh played the ball through the legs of a Barnet defender before out muscling him and arrowing his shot beyond Aston Oxborough. The outstanding Marsh quickly ran towards the Wood faithful for a joint celebration.

Following that goal, Barnet kept going but could not find a way through a resolute Wood defence marshalled by the excellent David Stephens. The Bees fate was sealed in injury time when Josh Payne received Barnet’s second straight red card of the game just before proceedings were brough to a conclusion.

It was tough going. Barnet were a much better side then the one Wood beat in the FA Cup and with the Wood squad riddled with absences, Luke Garrard was only able to field George Joyce and Joshua Roach on the bench. Not for the first time in recent weeks, this Boreham Wood side showed amazingly spirit to win a game of football and will now look forward to Monday’s 4th Round draw.

Boreham Wood: Ashby-Hammond; Ricketts, Stephens, Fyfield; Mendy Mendy, K Smith, Mafuta, Raymond, Marsh; Clifton, Lewis.

Subs not used: Roach, Joyce.

Barnet: Oxborough, Thomas, Richards-Everton, Hall, Brundle, Marriott, Greenidge, Fonguck (Tasdemir 74), Taylor, Beard, Woods (Payne 87).

Subs not used: Azaze, Bilalli, Horsley-McKay.

Star Man: Tyrone Marsh.

Match report written by Wood Army member Brett Lewis.


Share This