Boreham Wood 1-2 Notts County
Tuesday 24th September 2019, Meadow Park
Vanarama National League

Difficult conditions saw a scrappy encounter in the Vanarama National League between Boreham Wood and Notts County. In a game where there wasn’t too much between the two sides, County narrowly came out on top, meaning Neal Ardley’s men took home all three points from Meadow Park, ending The Wood’s three match unbeaten run.

An emphatic strike from Sam Osbourne was the highlight of the game to double Notts County’s lead with a long-range effort which sailed into the top corner.

It was a bright start for Boreham Wood as Femi Ilesanmi drove well down the left flank and whipped a good cross across the face of goal, but nobody was there to capitalise on the end of it. After four minutes Notts County had their first effort as Thomas unleashed a long-range strike with venom, albeit not testing the keeper and sailed wide.

The game then saw a difficult period with neither side being able to get a hold of the ball and keep possession with any purpose, resulting in little action in the final third mid-way through the first half. County’s Sam Osbourn tried to take matters into his own hands, attempting an audacious shot from 35-yards out, but fortunately for Wood it went flying into high and wide into the North Bank.

Wood started to get phases of joy down the left side through the ever energetic Ilesanmi, resulting in a number of corners in quick succession, but the home side failed to capitalise. Notts County then started to dominate, with star-man Kyle Wootton holding the ball up well and finding the persistent runs of strike partner Wes Thomas, but still not having any clear-cut chances.

However that hard work from Notts County eventually paid dividends with Thomas’ high press causing Tom Champion to slip, and it was then Thomas’ strike which forced a save out of David Gregory in the Wood goal. Gregory could only palm the ball back into the path of Thomas, whose first-time effort hit both posts and then hit the goalkeeper, with the ball rolling agonisingly over the line.

Half-time – Boreham Wood 0-1 Notts County

The second half picked up where it left off, continuing to be a scrappy game, with neither side being able to create many goal scoring chances. Boreham Wood Manager Luke Garrard had seen enough after 60-minutes and decided to make an attacking change, brining off Ricky Shakes to make way for Piero Mingoia. This meant Sorba Thomas moved across to right wing-back in hope to create more chances from wide and add more attacking options going forward.

However, shortly after these tactical decisions, in the 66th minute Notts County doubled their lead. Attacking midfielder Sam Osbourne, who had caused the Boreham Wood back line problems all game, received the ball with no pressure on him, had time to turn and drive with the ball, before unleashing a magnificent effort which curled past Gregory and into the top right corner from 25-yards out. The goal sparked the Notts County faithful in raptures as they burst into voice after their lead was extended.

Boreham Wood started to create more chances through Sorba Thomas, who had now switched from right to left wing-back, but the home side still lacked real quality in the final third to produce any definitive goal scoring opportunities.

However, as the more the second half went on, the more Wood started to get on-top, seeing their pressure result in several corners.

As the game entered it’s final 5-minutes, Thomas and Ilesanmi linked up well down the left-hand side, which eventually saw Thomas make his way into the box. A good bit of trickery saw him get a yard of space away from Brindley ready to pull the ball back to a number of waiting Wood attackers, however the former Bromley full back pulled Thomas down, resulting in the referee pointing to the spot. With Tshimanga off the pitch following his substitution for Justin Shaibu just minutes before, Marsh took responsibility and converted the spot kick expertly for the Wood with a powerful effort down the middle of the goal.

The later stage of the game saw several half chances being created for the Wood, but it wasn’t meant to be for Luke Garrard’s men, as Notts County held on to leave Meadow Park with all three points.

Full-time – Boreham Wood 1-2 Notts County

Boreham Wood: 1 Gregory, 3 Ilesamni, 4 Ricketts, 5 Champion, 6 Stephens, 9 Tshimanga, 10 Murtagh, 11 Marsh, 12 Fyfield, 14 Thomas, 15 Shakes. Subs: 7 Mingoia (Replaced Shakes), 8 McDonnell (Replaced Ricketts), 17 Huddart  (Unused), 16 Thompson (Unused), 20 Shaibu (Replaced Tshimanga).

Goalscorers: Marsh.

Cautions: None.

Notts County: 1 Slocombe, 3 McCrory, 4 Rose, 7 Thomas, 11 Boldewijn, 13 Rawlinson, 14 Wootton, 15 Booty, 17 Bakayogo, 20 Brindley, 23 Osbourne. Subs: 30 Kean (Unused), 9 Dennis (Unused), 19 Bird (Replaced Boldewijn), 21 Dunn (Unused), 32 Shields (Replaced Osborne).

Goalscorers: Gregory(OG), Osborne.

Cautions: Rose, Boldewijn.

Attendance: 756 (289 away supporters).

Report written by Joe Karadzas (Press Assistant)


Share This