Boreham Wood 1 – 2 Aldershot Town
Tuesday 16th August 2022
LV Bet Stadium Meadow Park, Vanarama National League


In an entertaining match at LV Bet Stadium Meadow Park, Boreham Wood were beaten by lowly Aldershot Town with a goal in each half from Justin Amaluzor and Ryan Glover before a late free kick from George Williams ending up being only a consolation.

There was a more attacking feel to Luke Garrard’s starting line-up following Saturday’s 2-2 draw with Notts County. The Boreham Wood Manager made three changes including Dennon Lewis replacing George Williams at right wing back, Josh Rees coming in for Mark Ricketts in midfield and Tyrone Marsh playing instead of Danny Newton up front.

First Half

Wood dominated possession early on and Danny Elliot had a good shot, just wide of Luca Ashby-Hammond’s goal in the third minute. Five minutes later, a Zak Brunt free kick caused confusion in the Shots defence and Marsh nearly opened the scoring, but his effort was blocked. Against the run of play, Aldershot took the lead on fourteen minutes. A purposeful run by Inih Effiong and a pass to Justin Amaluzor gave him a sight on goal and when his effort took a deflection off Will Evans, it wrong footed Nathan Ashmore in the Wood goal.

Wood responded well to the goal and Marsh immediately had a shot deflected wide. The same player fired over from the resulting corner. On twenty-five minutes, Wood nearly equalised when Ashby-Hammond inexplicably spilt Lewis’s cross before recovering just as the ball looked like going over the line. Jack Payne then went close from long range before Erico Sousa stung the palms of Ashby-Hammond from distance.

On forty-three minutes, an excellent move involving Effiong and goalscorer Amaluzor, created a chance for Harry Panaiotou but the Saint Kitts and Nevis international was off target with his volley. Just on half time, Sousa shot just wide, following a mazy run.

Second Half

Wood again dominated early possession in the second period but but their first meaningful effort on goal was on fifty-two minutes when Fyfield volleyed wide from a corner. Four minutes later, Aldershot’s Ryan Glover shot just wide following a good run. On sixty-two minutes, Glover was in the right place to double the Shots lead after Josh McQuoid’s rasping shot cannoned of the post. Like the first goal, this was very much against the run of play.

The goal stunned Boreham Wood and it took them a while to get going again. The dangerous Glover forced Ashmore into a good save in seventy-seven minutes. From then on, it was all Boreham Wood. Lee Ndlovu, the recently introduced substitute was causing havoc in the Shot defence. He had a shot blocked and then missed the target with a header. Dennon Lewis was then in on goal but somehow screwed his shot wide. Just when it looked like Boreham Wood would draw a blank, Welsh international George Williams produced a fantastic freekick on eighty-seven minutes to halve their deficit. Wood then had the bit between their teeth, and it looked like an equaliser inevitable. Ndlovu again headed wide and makeshift centre forward David Stephens had two very good chances including a shot straight at Ashby-Hammond and another one wide, when it looked easier to score.

It just wasn’t to be for Boreham Wood. Fair play to Aldershot who took their chances and defended heroically, especially at the end. This result confirms that there are no easy games in the Vanarama National League

Boreham Wood: Ashmore, Ilesanmi, Evans, Fyfield, Lewis, Sousa, Rees, Payne, Brunt (Williams 71), Elliot (Ndlovu 51), Marsh (Stephens 86)

Subs not used: Egan, Stevens

Aldershot Town: Ashby-Hammond, Davies, Harfield, Partington, Cordner, Amaluzor (Lyons-Foster 90), Effiong, McQuoid, Panaiotou, (Willard 79) Jordan, (Glover 46) Phillips

Subs not used: Hall, Klass,

Man of the Match: Dennon Lewis



Share This