Boreham Wood 4-0 AFC Fylde
Saturday 24th February 2024, 3:00 pm
Mangata Pay UK Stadium Meadow Park, Vanarama National League

In their best performance of the season, Boreham Wood were emphatic 4-0 winners in this relegation six pointer against a hapless AFC Fylde side. Two goals from Kabs Tshimanga, an own goal from Ethan Mitchell and one from Matt Robinson were enough to seal the points and put some daylight between Wood and the relegation places.

Luke Garrard made three changes from the starting line up from last Saturday’s defeat at Hartlepool with the fit again Erico Sousa replacing Cameron Coxe at right wing back, Angelo Balanta coming in for Mo Sagaf in midfield and Lee Ndlovu returning from suspension in place of Kwesi Appiah up front.

After a quiet opening period Boreham Wood took the lead on six minutes when Kabongo Tshimanga scored his second goal in as many games following some lovely interplay between Angelo Balanta and Femi Ilesamni. Balanta supplied an inch perfect cross for Tshimanga to score past Theo Richardson in the Fylde goal. Two minutes later, the visitors got in on the action when Nick Haughton played in Danny Ormerod who shot straight at Nathan Ashmore. On ten minutes Chris Bush played in Lee Ndlovu but he couldn’t get his feet into position to have a shot.

On twenty-one minutes, Fylde’s Connor Barrett had a shot blocked by Bush and seven minutes later Boreham Wood doubled their lead with an own goal. Matt Robinson played in Erico Sousa who’s cross was turned into his own goal by Ethan Mitchell. On thirty-five minutes, Ndlovu, shot was blocked on the line by Mitchell. Six minutes later Wood added a third when Femi Ilesamni played in Matt Robinson whose shot went in off the post despite the desperate dive of Richardson in the Fylde goal. On forty-three minutes Ilesamni hit the outside of the Fylde goal for Boreham Wood as they continued to run riot.


Wood started the second half on the front foot again and soon after the restart, Bill Sass-Davies was just off target with a header from a Sousa corner. As the second half wore on, the hosts continued to be in control without threatening the Fylde goal as the visitors tried to salvage something from the match. On seventy minutes Jon Ustabasi tried his luck from distance for the visitors but Ashmore produced a good save to keep his shot out. Eight minutes later Ash Hunter’s struck his free kick straight at Ashmore.

Wood started to turn it on again towards the end and got their reward on eighty-four minutes with an excellent goal by Tshimanga. He received a pass from Mo Sagaf and beat Richardson with a lovely left footed curling effort. Ashmore was called into action in the first minute of stoppage time when he produced a good save to deny Joe Westley. Straight away, Wood substitute Cameron Coxe forced a good save by Richardson in the Fylde goal. Coxe followed that up with an unbelievable effort that cannoned off the Fylde crossbar. A goal there would have been a fantastic way to start the afternoon.

This was an excellent performance from Boreham Wood. They dominated the visitors from start to finish and were clinical in front of goal as well as solid at the back. This victory puts five points between Boreham Wood the relegation places and while there is still much of the season to go, this result will breed confidence in Luke Garrard’s side as they reach the business end of the season.


By Brett Lewis

Boreham Wood:  Ashmore, Sousa (Coxe 59), Ilesamni, Bush, Sass-Davies, Fyfield, Payne, Balanta (Sagaf 79), Robinson, Ndlovu, Tshimanga (Marsh 87)

Subs not used: Whelan, Appiah

AFC Fylde:  Richardson, Barrett (Long 46), Walker. Davis, Graham, Mitchell, Kay, Whitehead, Ustabasi, Haughton (Westley 69), Ormerod, Hunter (69)

Subs not used: Conway, Adshead

Man of the Match:  Kabongo Tshimanga



Share This