League leaders Macclesfield Town proved too much for Boreham Wood, as they suffered a 2-0 defeat at Meadow Park.

The victory was inspired by a brace from Tyrone Marsh, who netted his first on the 20-minute mark.

 The forward got his second shortly before the hour, which left Luke Garrard’s side with a lot to do against the potential champions.

 Alex Davey replaced Jamie Turley in the back three against Macclesfield, while the rest of the 11 remained unchanged.

Mitch Hancox sent an early effort soaring over the crossbar, having been played through by a flick-on from Nathan Blissett

The home side had the best of the early chances though, as Bruno Andrade’s fizzled free-kick was spilled by Shwan Jalal, but George Pilkington thumped it clear.

Still on the search for an opener, the Portuguese striker weaved between the back-tracking Jared Hodgkiss and Keith Lowe, but his shot was blocked by the latter and evaded the leaping head of Morgan Ferrier.

The deadlock was broken by Marsh, who snuck into the home area and beat Grant Smith to a loose ball and poked home.

Grant Smith made a big save just five minutes later to keep score at 1-0. Blissett had connected with Hancox’s cross at the corner for what looked like a certain goal, but Smith was down quickly to block wide.

At the opposite end of the field, Andrade snapped up a loose ball and darted towards goal. His deflected cross was met by Ferrier, but headed inches wide.

A powerful run Keiran Murtagh took him into the area, before Danny Woodards looped in a cross, but no one could meet it.

Still in the ascendency, Ferrier countered down the left for the hosts, but his low cross was thumped clear by Lowe. Ricky Shakes then lashed a half-volley over the woodwork.

However, Marsh doubled both his and the visitor’s tally, when he struck Danny Whitaker’s cross past Wood stopper Smith.

Smith was forced into full stretch to then put another Marsh effort wide.

Looking for a way back into the game, Andrade shimmied towards Pilkington and dropped his shoulder to the right, but his drilled effort was blocked for a corner.

Stephens had arguably the Wood’s best chance of the game with 15 minutes remaining, when he sent a powerful header inches past the post.

Murtagh stung the ball across the box and substitute Angelo Balanta met it at the far post, but it was blocked wide. With just seconds remaining, Ferrier fired one final strike over the crossbar.

The Wood: G Smith, K Smith, Woodards (Balanta 60’), Ricketts ©, Stephens, Shakes, Champion, Murtagh, Andrade (Folivi 82’), Davey, Ferrier

Subs not used: Harfield, Quigley, Doe

Macclesfield Town: Jalal, Hodgkiss ©, Fitzpatrick, Lowe, Pilkington, Marsh, Blissett, Hancox, Evans, Whitehead (Kennedy 89’), Whitaker

Subs not used: Wilson, Ramsbottom, Burgess, De Girolamo

Attendance: 601

Goals: Marsh 20’, 58’


Share This