It was a Easter weekend to forget for the Wood as they once again succumbed to a 93rd minute goal to gift Maidstone victory at the Gallagher Stadium on Easter Monday. The victory ensured the Stones will be playing in the top tier of Non League football again next season.

Luke Garrard tinkered with his side after the 3-1 defeat to Dagenham on Good Friday with Matt Paine dropping to the bench and Jai Reason starting alongside Angelo Balanta and Mark Ricketts. Young Frank Keita made the bench instead of Kenny Davis.

Bobby-Joe Taylor could have got the hosts off to the perfect start when a deep cross to the back post found him but his shot was scuffed allowing Dave Stephens to clear.

Shortly afterwards Stephens won the ball just inside the Wood half and found Balanta who played the ball square to Reason. He tried to pick his spot but the effort was wide of Lee Worgan’s goal. 

Femi Ilesanmi burst down the left and managed to get to the by-line and crossed the ball for Ricky Shakes who could only get a toe end to the ball allowing Worgan to gather comfortably.

Ricketts gave away a free kick in a dangerous area as half time approached. The ball into the box from Flisher was a good one, it found Lokko whose initial effort was blocked and then on the rebound Okuonghae also saw his effort blocked as Danny Woodards charged down the shot.

Maidstone came out in the second half the sharper of the two sides and immediately had a penalty appeal turned down for a handball by Woodards but after looking at his Assistant Referee Whitton waved away their appeals.

Wood then got a hold of the game and dominated possession with three quick consecutive corners all of which came to nothing.

Reason intercepted a ball from Reece Prestedge and with plenty of space ahead of him he drove towards the Maidstone goal sliding the ball into Balanta down the left. Balanta delivered a tasty ball into the box but no white shirts were there to get on the end of it.

The closest Wood came to scoring was following a foul on Morgan Ferrier 22 yards from goal when Bruno Andrade’s free kick hit the outside of the post.

Maidstone thought they had the opening goal of the game as a ball into the box was flicked on for Odubade who finished past Smith but was in an offside position.

As the game neared its close Ricketts was booked for a challenge on Joe Piggot after initially giving the Maidstone forward the ball with a stray pass. Mr Whitton had no option but to show the Wood skipper the yellow card.

Deep into injury time the deadlock was broken. A ball floated deep into the Wood box wasn’t dealt with and it allowed Odubade to finish and give the home side all three points.

Garrard now has to regroup his players for the final home game of the season next Saturday at home to Gateshead.



Share This