After a goal difference of +6 in the last two fixtures, the Boreham Wood U18’s looked sharp and full of confidence going into their FA Youth Cup tie against Maidenhead United U18’s.

Both teams started fast despite taking a battering from the weather conditions, luckily the standard of pitch was able to take the brunt of it. As well, it was an opportunity for players to play on the first-team pitch which should have heightened their enthusiasm.

However, the first-half lacked many clear cut chances – apart from an effort for United which was smartly saved by the Wood keeper, Donnabhan Green. Both teams would have to use the next 45 minutes to break the deadlock, as the sides went in 0-0 at the break.

Half-Time – Boreham Wood U18’s 0-0 Maidenhead United U18’s 

Conditions got worse throughout the game for both sides however, it was Boreham who came off worse as goal kicks became a problem. Both sides looked likely to score and with huge encouragement from the Wood fans they look most likely yet, it was United who ended up going in front with a good finish from just inside the box.

Not long after it was deja vu for the Wood, as Maidenhead struck again increasing their lead to two. Towards the end Maidenhead were too much to handle, as they scored a third to seal the game, sending Wood’s U18’s crashing out of the cup.

Full-Time – Boreham Wood U18’s 0-3 Maidenhead United U18’s

Boreham Wood Academy Manager Cameron Mawer had this to say, “The boys are gutted in the changing room, they will learn a lot from tonight. A very disappointed group that feel they could have done better at times.”

Boreham Wood: Donnaghan Green, Toki Hassan, Luke Brophy, Ethan Tuttle, Sandro Freitas, Prince Kandolo, Hamza Semakula, Pearlie Noutaha, Ellie Brown, Darnell Kithambo, Yuri Decaine. Subs: Kyle Gordon, Momado Jallow, Indeo Davies, Jayce Basden, Junior Savane, Caleb Jacob, Marcus Cevette, Maurice Prendergast and Cameron Adisi. 

Report written by Matt Hawes (Academy Media Assistant)


Share This