Halifax netted a 81st minute equaliser to frustrate Boreham Wood, as they salvaged a 1-1 draw at Meadow Park, despite a late sending off for Tom Denton.  

Luke Garrard’s side had gone ahead just eight minutes into the match, through Bruno Andrade. The forward was causing chaos in the opposition’s half and when awarded a free-kick just outside of the penalty area, he made no mistake.

Matty Kosylo had provided the spark for Halifax Town, and he was at the centre of their equaliser. The midfielder’s initial shot was saved by Grant Smith, but substitute Adam Morgan was alive to blast home the equaliser.

The match had been a fiery affair and it continued late on, as Tom Denton was given his marching orders through a second yellow card.

Luke Garrard stuck with an identical line-up and formation to Tuesday night’s win over Eastleigh, with Ricky Shakes behind Andrade and Dan Holman.

It was a lively affair from the off, with Andrade testing Sam Johnson with an early low drive. Holman was next up, he cut inside and thrashed a viscous strike at Johnson, but the stopper pushed it wide.

The deadlock was broken just eight minutes in, as Andrade drove a low free kick through a sea of Halifax defenders and beat Johnson at his near post.

The Wood thought that they had doubled their lead seconds later; Holman’s initial strike was saved by Johnson and Andrade reacted quickest to blast a rebound into the net, but the referee pulled it back for offside.

Andrade was causing chaos in the opposition’s half. The forward’s corner was headed across the box by Dave Stephens, but Danny Woodards blasted a volley over the bar.

Halifax were growing into the game and Matty Kosylo struck a powered free kick through the Wood’s wall and forced a smart save from Grant Smith.

Kosylo then turned creator, as he flicked a cross into the box from the right, but Tom Denton headed over the bar.

The Shaymen then went three on one with Dean Wells, but Kane Smith charged back to make a last ditch sliding challenge to send the ball out for a corner.

Kosylo was at the centre of everything Halifax were doing and he forced Smith into a save again, as he thumped a 30-yard strike that the stopper had to push over.

With the Wood’s attacking play having cooled, Andrade tried his luck from range, but his strike sailed over. Minutes later the forward was at it again, he received the ball on the turn, and curled a shot just shy of the right corner.

Kosylo broke forward and attempted to run between Stephens and Wells, but the former sent him flying, giving away a free kick. Kosylo curled the set-piece just past the left post.

Andrade attempted to dance his way through the Halifax defence, but the away side scraped clear. The Wood recycled the ball and Andrade crossed for Holman, but his header was deflected wide.

Andrade’s free kick was then headed inches over the cross bar by Keiran Murtagh. Connor Oliver later had a free kick of his own, but drove it straight into the Wood wall.

The Wood Army hearts were broken with just nine minutes remaining, Matty Kosylo had an initial shot saved by Smith, but Morgan blasted in the stray ball.

Tom Denton was then sent off for a second bookable offence in the dying embers of the match. The forward had attempted to bustle his way into the area, but he used the force of his elbow, which struck the head of Dave Stephens.

The Wood XI: G Smith, K Smith, Woodards, Ricketts (C), Wells, Stephens, Shakes, Champion, Murtagh, Andrade, Holman (Benson 76’)

Subs not used: Jeffers, Turley, Thomas, Turgott

Halifax Town: Johnson, Moyo, Wilde, Brown, Kosylo (Clarke 90’), Hotte, Denton, Oliver, McManus, Lynch (King 82), Tomlinson (Morgan 76’)

Subs not used: Nicholson, Macdonald

Goals: Andrade 8’, Morgan 81’

Attedance: 562 (105 away)


Share This