The Skrill South

Farnborough 2-0 Boreham Wood

Match Report

By John Mead

A disappointing night in rainy Hampshire leaves Wood rooted in the bottom three after eight matches. Both goals were a product of errors and a show of profligacy in front of goal by Wood allowed the home side to help themselves to the spoils.

Wood started well with some good penetrative moves in the teeming rain, yet were regularly plighted by the offside flag. Boro seized upon a poor attempted clearance from Greg Morgan when he set up striker Elvis Hammond. He failed to take advantage of his superb position though, shooting wide of a post. Two minutes later Mark Bentley reacted slowly conceding a free kick thirty yards from goal. It was an opportunity that dead ball specialist Scott Donnelly seized upon with aplomb, directing his well struck effort into the top right hand corner of the net after 25 minutes.

Bentley had a chance himself minutes later when Jake Woolley supplied a cross from the right, volleying just over the bar from eighteen yards.

James Russell saved well from a deflected Hammond effort before Mario Noto embarked upon a run from a central position firing high over the bar from distance.

Woolley went through on goal courtesy of Luke Garrard’s supply, only to be denied by the outrushing Kevin Scriven. Wood’s best chance of the game thus far came from a rare piece of flowing football. Jerome Jibodu played Noto through down the right whose dangerous cross found Graeme Montgomery outside the far post. He volleyed across goal and just wide.

Russell then came into his own with three fine saves just before the interval, the second a superb point blank effort to deny Alan Inns from a corner as the home side piled on the pressure.

Wood reacted with a counter attacking move.  A fortunate ricochet sent Donovan Simmonds through on goal. He cut inside a defender only to mishit his shot which failed to trouble Scriven, thus ending a very disappointing first half for the visitors.

The second half continued in the same frustrating vein with Wood guilty of giving the ball away very cheaply. As the half wore on and Wood began to chase the game the home side grew in stature, winning the midfield battle and creating the best chances. Substitute Reece Connolly played Daniel Bennett through on goal and with just Russell to beat he steered his shot disappointingly wide.

A fine interchange of passes between Tyrone Berry and Josh Huggins ended with Berry crashing an effort onto Russell’s crossbar. Ian Allinson rang the changes but to little effect, save one effort from Morgan from a right sided corner that was just too high to cause Scriven any concerns.

Boro’s late pressure bore fruit when Garrard headed out straight to Bennett. He played Connelly through on goal only to be bought down by Russell to earn his side a late late penalty.

Connelly stepped up leaving Russell on his knees as he confidently converted, giving his side a well deserved win on the night.

Wood Boss Ian Allinson was left rueing his sides, “ Poor ball retention and distribution. There was a lot of effort but we are not replicating our efforts in training. We had chances to get something out of the game but failed to hit the target on occasions.”

Team: Russell, Jibodu (Hastings 82), Morgan, Cox, Garrard, O’Loughlin, Noto (Ball 82), Bentley, Simmonds, Woolley, Montgomery (Whichelow 70).

Subs not used: Hall, Courtnage.

Bookings: Jibodu, Russell.

Goals: Farnborough: Donnelly 25, 90+2 pen.

Wood Man Of The Match: James Russell.


Share This