Boreham Wood Under 18s fought their way into the next round of the FA Youth Cup, with a 2-0 victory over Enfield Town.

Daniel Creese opened the scoring in the 14th minute, driving a classy strike past Badr Baraoumi.

Ejike Akubude then confirmed the win with just over 10 minutes remaining, blasting into the right corner.

Cameron Mawer made just one change to the side who won at Hendon, with Akubude replacing Theo Costa and starting upfront alongside Creese.

It was a high intensity start from the Wood, with Archie Pepper slicing over the bar from outside of the box.

Fred Burbidge was then forced to pull of a brilliant save to deny the head of Hashim Ahmed. Junior Mubiayi headed over from the resulting corner.

It was the Wood who broke the deadlock, as Creese picked up the ball just outside of the box, switched onto his favoured right foot and powerfully drove it home.

The goal had given the Wood a boost, and on the turn, Creese lifted the ball over the Enfield defence and onto the on-running Walsh, but it was narrowly over hit and cleared.

Pepper then cracked a long-range strike against the post. The ball was recycled and Akubude struck from distance himself, but it was narrowly wide.

A mistake from the Enfield defence was pounced upon by Creese and he pulled it back for Akubude, but he slid it wide.

The Wood continued in search of a second, and Iliman Ndiaye cut around Sarpong, but curled the ball just over the bar.

A free-kick from Raekwon D’Cruz wreaked havoc in the Wood area, it sailed above Burbidge and Mentor Ramadani leapt to meet it, but Charlie Wickham cleared.

Akubude then went close again, he had battled through a sea of Town defenders in the box and twice struck at Baraoumi, but both attempts were saved.

Mawer’s side went close again from the resulting corner, Cheyce Grant’s cross was fired at goal by a trio of Wood attackers, but each attempt was blocked.

D’Cruz then met the visitor’s corner, but was unable to beat Burbidge at his far post, with a low strike.

Grant tried his luck with a long-range free-kick and Baraoumi had to be at his best to punch it wide from the top right corner.

Still in search of a second, Sam Walsh played downline to Ndiaye and he looked to cut inside, but Necati Gench tackled.

A smart through ball from Akubude was then met by substitute Kai Wint, but Enfield recovered to slide clear.

Enfield thought they had equalised when Harry Challis slipped and let Christian Gyasi-Tuffour through on goal, but the backline recovered, blocked and thrashed clear.

Gyasi-Tuffour then won the ball deep into the Wood half and charged forward, but he sliced his strike over the bar.

Wint and Akubude were linking well upfront, and a neat one-two between the pair released Akubude through on goal, but he flashed his strike wide.

A lofted through ball from the away defence caught the Wood backline off guard, but Gyasi-Tuffour was unable to compose himself and fired his shot wide.

Adann Jaamac’s low ball across the box struck the foot of Ahmed, but he was unable to turn it in and Burbidge caught.

Akubude then finally got the goal his performance had warranted. It was the hardest of the lot, but the forward battled around the Enfield defence and struck into the right corner.

The Wood: Burbidge, Walsh, Grant, Wickham (Challis 45), Radu, Giibs, Watson-Noel, Pepper, Akubude, Creese, Ndiaye

Subs not used: Agyemang, Win, Green, Spencer

Enfield Town: Baraoumi, Kumanova, Gench, Adesoye (Gyasi-Tuffour 34), Sarpong, Simpson-Miles, D’Cruz, Mubiayi, Sahiaka (Jaamac 74), Ahmed, Ramadani

Subs not used: Sezek, Charalambous, O’Leary  

Goals: Creese 14’, Akubude 79’


Share This