F.A. Carlsberg Trophy – First Round

Bromley    1    Boreham Wood    1

by John Mead

A late equaliser from Pierre Joseph-Dubois means Wood have to do it all again back at Meadow Park this Monday.    It was a frustrating afternoon for Ian Allinson’s side who created enough chances to win two games, yet their inability to add the killer touch allowed the home side back into the game.

The first half was totally dominated by Wood.    The Lillywhites were second best in every department, guilty of giving the ball away frequently and they were very fortunate not to be two or three goals down by the interval.

Greg Morgan tested ‘keeper Joe Welch at the near post, with Mark Jones firing the follow up shot wide of goal. Wood soon began pressing the hosts with some tantalizing build up play, with Graeme Montgomery shooting wide when well placed.    Mauro Vilhete and Montgomery then had further shots saved in what was one way traffic.    Another fine Vilhete run allowed Chez Isaac a shot that was charged down for a corner, from which Morgan supplied a fine cross that was almost headed home by Cliff Akurang.

When Morgan, Akurang and Jones combined The Lillywhites failed to clear allowing Omer Riza a run into the box that was illegally terminated by Moses Swaibu.    Riza’s spot kick was clinical and Wood were ahead after twenty-five minutes.

A poor ball forward by Sanchez Ming was intercepted by Isaac who set Riza free on the counter attack.    He supplied Vilhete whose effort was just wide of the target.    Confidence was oozing from a Wood side that have lost just twice in their last twelve outings.    Riza then supplied a cross that was cleared as far as Vilhete.    His shot was charged down as far as Montgomery who unleashed a curling dipping left footed effort that struck the crossbar.

Wood finally had some serious defending to do when Callum Reynolds had to clear an Elliott Buchanan cross. Just before the interval a Bromley corner found the head of two attackers with James Russell making his first real save of the game tipping over to safety.

Bromley started the second half with more belief and Reynolds made several blocks on what was for him a faultless afternoon.    A mistake from Charlie O’Loughlin allowed Tony Finn a shot on goal which after some close study by Ben Nunn was easily saved by Russell.

Another fine Wood move saw Vilhete set up Akurang who in turn fed Montgomery whose effort flew over the crossbar.    Back came Wood and a mistake by Liam Harwood gifted O’Loughlin the ball who sprayed a fine pass upfield for Riza.    He found the run of Akurang whose shot went straight at Welch as another chance went begging.

Riza then missed the chance to end the contest for good when Montgomery and Akurang sent him through on goal.    His shot with just Welch to beat with the outside of the boot found only the side netting.

A one goal advantage is frequently inadequate bounty on the road against fellow League opposition and a rare mistake from Russell cost his side dearly with just two minutes of normal time remaining.    A looped cross from the left hung for an age in the air.    The Wood ‘keeper misjudged his leap allowing Joseph-Dubois a free header to gain parity.

Montgomery flashed a late shot just wide of goal, meaning the two sides will lock horns again for the right to proceed in the Competition.

Team:    Russell, Nunn, Jones, Vilhete, O’Loughlin, Reynolds, Morgan, Isaac, Akurang, Riza (Sub – Noto 90 mins.), Montgomery.

Subs (Not used):    Hutton, Effiong, Jefford, Beckles.

Bookings:    Morgan, Akurang, Jones, Isaac.

Goals:    Bromley:    Joseph-Dubois 88.            Boreham Wood: Riza 25 pen.

Man of the Match:    Graeme Montgomery.


Share This