Braintree Town came from a goal down to earn a well-fought draw with Boreham Wood at Meadow Park on Saturday.

Luke Garrard’s side were on the back of two straight wins and Jamal Fyfield had put the Wood ahead in the first half, with a header at a free-kick.

However, Braintree pulled it back level just two minutes into the second half, through Mohamed Bettamer.

Garrard made just one change from the side who won against Maidstone United, with Femi Ilesanmi replacing Danny Woodards in the wing-back position.

The Wood started brightly following their successful Bank Holiday weekend and the match began in a fast-paced fashion.

Boreham Wood academy graduate Sorba Thomas had a great chance early on when Ben Killip pushed Joshua Umerah’s shot into his path, but the Braintree stopper was equal to his close-range effort.

Luke Allen reacted by firing a shot well over from long-range, with Braintree sitting deep.

Balanta then went near with a clever corner routine from Luke Garrard’s side, but his shot was blocked.

Braintree had their best chance of the first half with a well-fired long-range effort, but Justin Amaluzor’s shot struck the post.

Balanta then reacted by nodding Keiran Murtagh’s corner against the woodwork, with Garrard’s side looking likely to score.

The deadlock was broken on 36 minutes, when former Gateshead defender Jamal Fyfield rose highest at another Murtagh free-kick and knocked it past Killip.

The visitors were yet to win a match this season, but have proven hard to beat so far this campaign. They returned for the second half and levelled within two minutes, when Bettamer fired a powerful free-kick past Ellery Balcombe in the Wood goal.

The Wood reacted well to going behind, and on the counter attack, Balanta spotted the run of Ricky Shakes and fed him into the area, but Killip was equal to his attempt. Mark Ricketts then drove one over the crossbar from 25-yards.

The equaliser from Braintree saw the match quieten down as the away side looked to defend the score line.

Balanta attempted to spark the game back into life with a long-range effort and once again Killip pushed it back into the penalty area, but Kodi Lyons-Foster beat Umerah to the ball.

Braintree continued to do a good job of slowing the game down and Tom Champion sent a header into the hands of Killip.

Substitute Justin Shaibu twisted and turned in the area, but fired well over. The on-loan Brentford forward the went close when he got a touch on Thomas’ edge of the area shot.

In the dying embers of the game, the Wood had a chance to nick the win, but somehow Killip managed to claw the ball off his line, after Balanta’s header.

The Wood: Balcombe, Ilesanmi, Ricketts ©, Stephens, Shakes, Champion, Umerah (Shaibu 78’), Murtagh, Fyfield, Thomas, Balanta

Subs not used: Huddart, Parry, Ash, Smith

Braintree Town: Killip, Webber, Allen, Crook (Della-Verde 86’), Bettamer, Lyons-Foster, Gabriel, Sagaf, James, Nieskens, Amaluzor (Pattison 72’)

Subs not used: Durojaiye, Clark, Blackmore


The Wood: Fyfield 36’

Braintree Town: 48’ Bettamer

Attendance: 578


Share This