Wood bowed out of the FA Cup first round at Meadow Lane this evening but not without one hell of a fight.

Luke Garrard can be proud of his side and proud of our 124 travelling supporters, as they as a club gave there all tonight. However as hard as they might of tried, it just wasn’t meant to be.

Luke Garrard made one enforced change from Saturday’s 1-0 defeat to Bromley. With Kenny Davis returning to the midfield in place of the suspended Conor Clifford.

In truth County dominated the opening fifteen minutes of the game, keeping the ball very well, making the pitch big, but without ever really troubling keeper Grant Smith in the Wood goal.

That was until a short corner was taken quickly by County. The ball came out to the edge of the box, where Adam Cambell on his left foot, hit a well struck shot, that dipped late before reaching Grant Smith, Smith did well to palm the ball away and the chance was thankfully gone.

Wood then began to grow into their own game, and started to enforce their style of play on the home side, and forced three corners in quick succession. Anthony Jeffrey down the left was becoming a threat, and probably came closest when his shot went narrowly wide when well placed.

Wood though thought they had taken the lead on 22 minutes, when a foul on Wood fullback Femi Ilesanmi, allowed Angelo Balanta to deliver a sweet ball into the box. Matt Paine was left unmarked and he put is powerful header past the keeper. However the referee had spotted an infringement inside the box, and instead of a goal, he awarded the home side a free kick.

Just moments later Jonathan Forte put the home side ahead, Joe Devera miss-judged a high ball and the well travelled County striker made no mistake from the angle, putting the ball in the top corner.

Wood should have levelled just before the break, Anthony Jeffrey played a nice one two with Ben Nunn. Jeffrey got to the County by-line, squaring the ball for Bruno Andrade, who slipped at the worst possible moment, just as he had a free strike on goal.

Wood were now looking for the equaliser, and when Anthony Jeffrey intercepted the ball inside his own half and made his way to the edge of the County area, the Wood fans hopes were raised. Jeffrey steadied himself, before unleashing a shot which deflected off Haydn Hollis for a Wood corner and the away side remained 1-0 down.

From another Wood corner, County broke quickly and the away side was stretched. A cross field ball from Carl Dickinson to Adam Campbell, allowed Campbell to control the ball before forcing Smith into a smart save low down to his right, and from this point County started to take back control of the second half.

Luke Garrard then made a double substitution with fifteen minutes remaining. He replaced the tiring Angelo Balanta and Morgan Ferrier, who made way for the fresh legs of Daniel Uchechi and Jamie Lucas.

County though always remained a threat in front of goal, as Wood with tired legs tried to find something or some way to get back on level terms.

County during this period, did have a couple of long range chances to double their lead, but they failed to trouble Wood keeper Grant Smith. Whilst at the other end Anthony Jefrrey had another shot which was deflected wide.

Wood manager Luke Garrard, made one final throw of the dice and sent on big central defender Dave Stephens upfront in place of holding midfielder Mark Ricketts, in what was a hit and hope 4-2-4 formation.
And with time almost up, substitute Jamie Lucas had a chance to level for the Wood at the end of added time.

However Lucas’ header from Anthony Jeffrey’s cross, did not get the direction it needed and it fell kindly into the arms of County keeper Adam Collin and that proved to be Woods last chance of the night.

The final kick of the game though was a real kick in the teeth for gallant Wood. As it brought about County’s second goal of the game, but what a goal it was from over 20 yards out, the County substitute Aaron Collins, hit an unstoppable drive which hit the underside of the crossbar and in.

Another FA Cup campaign for the Wood faithful I’d now brought to an end, by yet another pro club defeat. However the season for Wood is still very much alive and kicking. The players and staff have given their all over these last two cup games and the 124 travelling Wood supporters that made the journey tonight, need a special mention..

They never stopped singing all night and they made it an occasion for us all to remember. As a club we will of course look back on what might of been having led the first game 2-0.. but we thank Notts County for the way they applauded our players off the field at the end game this evening, and we thank the Wood Army and players for the fantastic support and effort they gave us this evening.

Boreham Wood: Smith, Nunn, Paine, Devera, Ilesanmi, Ricketts (Stephens), Davis, Jeffrey, Balanta (Lucas), Andrade, Ferrier (Uchechi).

Subs not used: Boal, Colicott-Stephens, Kuhl, Woodards

ATT: 1762 (124 Away)













Share This