Boreham Wood moved up to third place in the National League table with a vital 2-1 win over Tranmere Rovers at Meadow Park.

Angelo Balanta celebrated signing a new contract on Friday, with a well taken goal, on the brink of half-time.

James Norwood levelled the scoring in the 66th minute, after Boreham Wood had failed to deal with a loose ball in the box.

Luke Garrard’s side refused to give up though and Andrade got the winner that his side deserved just 11 minutes from time.

Wood manager Garrard made two changes from the draw with Maidenhead United on Tuesday night, with Keiran Murtagh and Danny Woodards coming in for Alex Davey and Ricky Shakes.

There was an early chance for Wood, when Andrade found space just outside of the opposition area, his low effort was spilled by Scott Davies, but Ferrier was unable to follow up the rebound.

James Norwood then had his side’s first effort of the match four minutes later, when he sliced an shot around the post.

Fast counter attacking play from the Wood fed Andrade, following some silky footwork from Kane Smith, but the forward’s attempt was blocked.

Balanta then lashed an effort of his own over the crossbar, following a corner.

Grant Smith was called into action for the first time on the 15-minute mark, and he had to get down quickly to save Andy Cook’s twisted header.

Ferrier tried the spectacular, when he back-heeled Smith’s low cross at Davies, but Liam Ridehalgh got a block in.

David Stephens got up well at a corner, but sent his header inches over the crossbar.

Action cooled as the half wore on, but a superb, back-heeled one-two between Murtagh and Balanta released the latter, as he dragged a shot into the hands of the Tranmere stopper.

In search of his first goal in four games, Andrade latched onto Smith’s whipped cross, but his header crashed against the Woodwork.

Balanta gave supporters a taste of what was to come, when he curled a sumptuous strike with the outside of his boot, that cracked against the woodwork.

Looking for a reaction, with the Wood back on top, Connor Jennings thumped an effort just past the post from close-range.

The Wood then got the opener their play deserved. Tranmere had failed to deal with Murtagh’s set-piece and it fell to Balanta on the edge of the area, he took a touch and sent it flying past Davies and into the back of the net.

The Wood had the ball in the net for the second time straight after the halfway point, but the referee pulled Jamie Turley back for offside.

Tranmere then began to dominant the half, with Cook drawing a great save out of the athletic Smith.

Balanta and Turley both then had chances during a goalmouth scramble, but neither could beat Davies, or the Rovers’ defence.

The visitors would get their goal on the 66th minute, when Norwood levelled from close-range. The Wood had failed to deal with a loose ball in the box and the Rovers’ forward poked it past Smith.

Garrard’s side had seen the warning signs and were determined to claim a vital win, in their hunt for the play-offs.

However, Tranmere would continue to dominate the next few minutes, as Smith pulled off a vital save, tipping the ball out of his top corner, following an ambitious overhead kick from Norwood.

Ricky Shakes’ introduction for the Wood would prove to be an important change in the match. The midfielder released Andrade into space in the area, but he was unable to find the target.

The Wood’s second would follow though. Ferrier’s initial strike was blocked, but Andrade snapped up the rebound and fizzed it home with his right-foot.

With ten minutes still remaining, the hosts would be forced to ride the storm, as the visitors pilled forwards. Smith had to be at his best once again, as he tipped Norwood’s lopping header above his goalpost, with his fingertips.

The Wood: G Smith, K Smith, Woodards (Doe 91’), Ricketts, Stephens, Champion, Murtagh, Andrade, Turley, Balanta (Shakes 73’), Ferrier

Subs not used: Quigley, Folivi, Davey

Tranmere Rovers: Davies, Buxton, Ridehalgh, McNulty ©, Harris, Norwood, Jennings, Ginnelly (Tollitt 49’), Monthe, Traore

Subs not used: Sutton, Mangan, Turner, Wallace


The Wood: Balanta 45’, Andrade 79’

Tranmere Rovers: Norwood 66’

Attendance: 801



Share This