Boreham Wood couldn’t make their chances pay against Hartlepool United, as the sides played out an entertaining 0-0 draw.  

The Wood thought that they had the win in their sights shortly after half time, when Blair Turgott was brought down in the area, but Andrade saw his spot kick saved.

Luke Garrard made several changes to the side who beat Blackpool, with goal scorers Blair Turgott and Dan Holman both coming into the 11, and Ricky Shakes returning at wing-back.

The Wood started the game with attacking intent and Andrade tested the reflexes of Scott Loach early on, but the stopper palmed his long-range strike away.

With the hosts in full control, Kane Smith flew down the right and slid a ball low across the box, but it was narrowly in-front of Holman and drifted wide.

Andrade delivered in a lofted free kick towards the head of Jamie Turley, but a with marker either side of him, Hartlepool cleared.

Garrard’s side continued to dominate the opening exchanges, with Andrade at the heart of the action. The forward cut inside and snapped a shot at goal, but Loach held.

Hartlepool got their first chance of the match just inside 20 minutes, Rhys Oates cut inside deep into the Wood half and fired at Grant Smith, but the stopper saved.

The visitors then found themselves with a freekick on the edge of the area, but Jonathan Franks blasted it straight at the wall.

Craig Harrison’s side had begun to find their rhythm and Franks struck at goal on the turn, but Turley blocked.

Holman tried his luck from range and Loach couldn’t hold, but his teammates weren’t able to react in time to reach the rebound.

Andrade’s cross-cum-shot then looked to be creeping into the corner, but it was narrowly wide of Loach’s goal.

The Wood’s luck looked to be turning early in the second half when Blair Turgott was brought down by Scott Harrison in the area and awarded a penalty. Bruno Andrade stepped up to take the kick, but he was denied from the spot by Loach, who dived to his left and kept out the placed effort.

The away support had been buoyed by the penalty saved, but the Wood kept on pressing for the opener. Turley crossed from deep and it was headed for Holman, but Louis Laing beat the forward to it.

The hosts had the ball in the net shortly after the hour mark, when Andrade’s free kick was headed back into the box by Stephens. Keiran Murtagh thumped the ball past Loach, but the Wood were pulled back for a foul.

Smith broke forward and went for goal just outside of the opposition area, but it deflected off Jeffers and bounced away from danger.

Still desperate for an opener, Andrade found himself through on goal, but his first strike was saved, and his second was inches wide.

The visitors came closest through substitute Jake Cassidy, as he spun his marker on the left-wing and delivered a low ball into the box, but Devante Rodney couldn’t get a touch to it.

Andrade went close again for the hosts late on, after he had battled the ball from Kenton Richardson on the by-line, but the in-form forward couldn’t find the net from a tight angle.

There was a final chance of the match for the Wood to take the lead, as Turgott was sent into the area, but Loach managed to get a foot to his strike and send it wide.

The Wood: G Smith, K Smith, Wells, Stephens, Shakes, Champion, Murtagh, Andrade, Turley, Turgott, Holman (Jeffers 64)

Subs not used: Woodards, Ricketts, Benson, Keita

Hartlepool United: Loach, Adams, Featherstone, Harrison, George, Oates (Cassidy 67), Franks, Deverdics (Adeloye 78), Richardson, Rodney, Laing

Subs not used: Munns, Woods, Newton

Attendance: 773


Share This