Boreham Wood got back to winning ways with a 2-0 win over former Football League outfit Leyton Orient, breaking their league attendance in the process.

Danny Woodards opened the scoring in the 34th minute, lashing the ball into the bottom right-hand corner from just inside the box.

Keiran Murtagh then doubled the lead in the second half, sending the Wood army into jubilation. 

Prior to the match, Chairman Danny Hunter and Manager Luke Garrard had called on supporters to turn up to Meadow Park and help the Wood to break their previous attendance record of 1,293, set against Grismby Town. And, it was comfirmed late into the match that Boreham Wood had smashed their record with a crowd of 1,920.

The Wood remained in their usual 3-5-2 formation, with debutant Blair Turgott sitting behind Bruno Andrade and Shaun Jeffers.

Leyton Orient dominated the opening ten minutes of the match, coming close from a Jobi McAnuff free-kick in the fourth minute, several stabbed at shots, but none could trouble Grant Smith.

In-form forward Macauley Bonne was then sent through on goal with only Smith to beat, but Dean Wells drove back to intercept.

Andrade curled a free-kick into the area that met the head of David Stephens, but it was brushed wide.

Shaun Jeffers raced forward and dragged the ball across the box and past Grainger, but Andrade was unable to get a touch on it.

Kane Smith had grown into the match and swept the ball into the box and again it sailed past Grainger, but no one could get a head to it.

Boreham Wood had taken control of the match, but Orient were far from second best and McAnuff cut inside, before driving a strike into the hands of Smith.

Despite a lack of balance, Jeffers twisted and fizzled a half-volley just over the crossbar.

The Wood had won a free-kick on the edge of the area, Andrade curled what looked to be the perfect kick, but it flew just above the right corner and wide.

Boreham Wood then deservedly took the lead, the ball fell kindly for Woodards on the edge of the area and he fired it past Grainger on the half volley.

The Wood had been buoyed by the goal and an excellent touch from Andrade took him straight past Josh Coulson, but when he pulled the ball back into the box, no one was there.

Orient should have equalised when Bonne was found by David Mooney, he was one-on-one with Smith, but flicked his effort over the woodwork.

The Wood returned to the second half in a similarly dominate fashion, Andrade beat the offside trap and raced towards Grainger, but drove his shot straight into the stopper’s hands.

Luke Garrard’s side doubled their lead just before the hour mark, Andrade somehow squeezed between the full-back and the byline before dragging it back for Murtagh to slide past Grainger.

The home side came close again as Andrade battled the ball from George Elokobi and fizzled a shot inches wide of the post.

With Orient still looking to get off the mark, Joe Widdowson broke into the box and flashed a shot wide of the goal.

Murtagh then slipped the ball between the Orient centre-halves and Andrade struck first time, but Grainger parried wide.

Turgott darted forward on the counter and dragged a shot at Grainger, but the stopper held.

With little time remaining, Elokobi limped off injured after a collision with Paul Benson. Orient had already made all three changes and were forced to finish the remaining time with 10-men.

Despite five minutes of added time, the Wood saw out the match, with substitute Josh Koroma firing one final attempt past the post.

Boreham Wood manager Luke Garrard was delighted with the 2-0 win over Leyton Orient at Meadow Park, but explained the importance of not getting carried away.

“I think that the performance warranted three points from the players,” Garrard elated. “I have felt the frustration from the defeat against Barrow all week and I think that Leyton Orient got the backlash.

“You look at the Aldershot Town match here, you look at Tranmere away, you look at the Wrexham game here, they are three ex-league clubs.

“Yeah, we didn’t pick up the points against Wrexham, but I think that we should have gained a point minimum with the performance.

“There is a confidence in there, not an arrogance, but a confidence and there is a fine line between the two, what we have got is a belief.

“There is a belief amongst the squad that they can progress, but it is a win and it is just one match in a 46-game season, so we can’t get over excited.

“Leyton Orient, Tranmere, Solihull, Torquay, it is just a game and we have got to make sure that we get onto a run now and that is something that we need to achieve come Tuesday, when we go down to the current league leaders, Dover Athletic.”

The Wood G Smith, K Smith, Woodards,  Ricketts (C), Wells, Stephens, Champion, Murtagh, Andrade, Jeffers (Benson 79), Turgott

Subs not used: Johnson, Sach, Keita, Thomas

Leyton Orient:  Grainger, Caprice, Widdowson, Elokobi, McAnuff, Bonne, Mooney (C), Ochieng (Harrold 51), Coulson (Sendles-White 67), Clay, Dayton (Koroma 78)

Subs not used: Sargeant, lawless

Attendance: 1,920 (1,264 Orient fans)


Boreham Wood: Woodards 34, Murtagh 51


Share This