Despite a much improved second half performance, Boreham Wood fell to a 2-1 defeat away to Halifax Town.

Shay skipper Matty Brown had put the home side ahead in the 20th minute, after a slow start from Boreham Wood.
A much improved second half from Luke Garrard’s side saw them level the affair on 50 minutes.

It appeared as if The Wood could go on to take all three points, but Mike Fondop-Talom netted against the run of play to restore the home side’s advantage.

Garrard named an unchanged eleven from the win over Wrexham, while Angelo Balanta returned to the bench.

Halifax gave the Wood an insight into what was to come, when four minutes in, they saw two chances go begging. Champion clipped the first off the line, after Ben Tomlinson’s deflection had taken it past Grant Smith.  The stopper then recovered to push Fondop-Talom’s effort out of the bottom corner, after the striker had snapped up the rebound.

The hosts took the lead on 20 minutes, when Matty Brown leapt highest to meet Connor Oliver’s corner and head past Smith.

Just four minutes later and a lobbed through ball found Fondop-Talom unmarked in the area, but Wood stopper Smith was equal to his fizzled effort.

Still searching for top gear, a searing run from Andrade freed space on the edge of the area, but his left-footed shot soared over the bar.

Andrade then shimmed around his markers and into the Halifax area, but no one could meet his low cross.

Beginning to grow into the game, Kane Smith shovelled the ball into the boggy penalty area and Ferrier struck on the turn, but his weak attempt was claimed by Sam Johnson.

Still on the attack, Danny Woodards wriggled around the edge of the home box, but his lashed effort was blocked and Johnson came out to collect.

Halifax restarted quickly after the break, and Fondop-Talom beat David Stephens down the left, but his cross was thrashed clear by Tom Champion.

Five minutes into the second half and the visitors were level, Keiran Murtagh had received the ball unmarked on the edge of the area and he slid in Ferrier, who curled the ball into the top right corner. 

Having scored one, he was hungry for more, Ferrier was played the ball in a similar position, but this time Johnson punched his shot out of the top corner.

The subsequent corner found its way to Murtagh on the edge of the box, but he sent a half-volley over the crossbar. 

Andrade then drove around the outside of Josh Wilde, but his shot was blocked into the side netting, as the Wood continued to dominate. 

Ferrier connected perfectly with a volley on the edge of the area, but it was blocked wide by Brown.

A through ball was fed to Ricky Shakes as he went one-on-one with Johnson, Shakes flicked the ball around the ‘keeper, but ran out of pitch and was unable to keep the ball in play.

Substitute Alex Davey met Murtagh’s long free-kick with a well-aimed header, but Johnson caught his attempt.

Halifax took advantage of the Wood’s attacking stance to retake the lead. Fondop-Talom was released into the area by Michael Duckworth and he chipped the ball above Wood ‘keeper Smith and into the back of the net.

With 25 minutes to play, the tie was far from dead and Ricky Shakes cut inside on the left and swung a ball across for Ferrier, but it was headed behind for a corner by the hosts.

Kane Smith whipped a dangerous cross low into the area, but Brown beat Joe Quigley to it, as Halifax held on for the win.

The Wood: G Smith, K Smith, Woodards (Balanta 63), Ricketts © (Quigley 85), Stephens, Shakes, Champion, Murtagh, Andrade, Turley (Davey 44), Ferrier

Subs not used: Folivi, Doe

Halifax Town: Johnson, Tomlinson, Brown ©, Wilde, Duckworth, Maher, Graham, Fondop-Talom, Collins (Hotte 82’), Thomson (Hibbs 90’), Oliver

Subs not used: Nicholson, McManus, Denton 

Goals: Brown 20’, Fondop-Talom 64’

The Wood: Ferrier 50’

Attendance: 1,460


Share This