With the new campaign now under a week away, Boreham Wood won confidently in their final pre-season fixture, blasting four past a Barnet XI.  

Both sides struggle to dominate possession in the first half, but Shaun Jeffers (37) broke the deadlock shortly before halftime, curling an effort past Barnet stopper Kai McKenzie-Lyle.  

 The second half was a livelier affair, with Jeffers (57) doubling his tally from the spot, before Nana Kyei pulled one back for the Bees.

But it wasn’t enough for the away side as Angelo Balanta (75) and Keiran Murtagh (89) confirmed the win with two more goals.

Both sides struggle to get into the first half, but Boreham Wood had the first opportunity, Tom Champion swinging a free-kick into the box, but Barnet defended strongly and blasted clear.

A long ball from the Barnet defence looked to be going out, but somehow Nana Kyei kept it in play, he looked up to strike but Keiran Murtagh had charged back to break it up.

Barnet were finding most joy down the flanks, but their end product was lacking and Champion headed clear another Weak cross.

A long ball from Ryan Johnson found the feet of Bradley Sach, but the youngster struggled to control the pass & Barnet recovered to clear.

The breakthrough finally came in the 37th minute, Jeffers picked up the ball on the edge of the area, cut inside and curled it into the bottom left corner.

With the goal, the Wood began to dominate, Ricky Shakes picked up the ball outside of the box, he cut inside & crossed, but Barnet headed clear.

The Wood returned for the second half in stronger fashion and almost added to their tally seconds in, Murtagh curled a corner into the box that was met by the head of Johnson, but his effort sailed just inches above the woodwork.

With more of a swagger in their play, Jeffers blazed forward, he looked to flick the ball past a defender but was hauled down in the area; with few arguments, the referee pointed to the spot.

Jeffers stepped up confidently and placed his strike past McKenzie-Lyle, to double his tally, and the lead.

Barnet were allowed to pull one back just a minute later, a mix-up in the Wood defence was pounced upon by Kyei, the winger snatched the ball and snapped it into the top corner.

Bruno Andrade was proving a handful down the wing, he beat the Bees full-back to a loose ball and then looked to lift it above the ‘keeper, but his effort went wide.

The Wood then regained their two-goal deficit, a long-range strike from Mark Ricketts deflected off a defender and confused the Bees ‘keeper, before hitting the post, Balanta followed up the rebound and headed it into an empty net.

Barnet nearly embarrassed themselves shortly after, Murtagh’s cross flew across the box and was almost smashed into their own net as their centre-back looked to clear.

Dave Stephens came on and provided the usual danger in the opposition area, he leapt highest at a corner and powered an effort at McKenzie-Lyle, but the stopper somehow kept it out of the top corner.

A fourth was added shortly before the whistle, Kane Smith charged down the wing, zipped around two Barnet defenders and pulled it back for Murtagh, who slotted it home.

Boreham Wood XI: G Smith, Woodards, Ricketts, Wells, Champion, Murtagh, Andrade, Johnson, Jeffers, Sach, Keita

Subs: Awahkie, K Smith, Stephens, Shakes, Benson, Ash, Gordon, Balanta

Barnet XI: McKenzie-Lyle, Day, Hernandez, Sweeney, Smith, Payne, Spence, Coker, Nicholls, Cojocarel, Kyei

Subs: McKenzie-Lyle, Connell, Sylla, Adina, Aghadiuno, Annesley


Share This