Boreham Wood sailed into the next round of the FA Cup, with an emphatic 3-1 win over local rivals St Albans City.

Bruno Andrade opened the scoring with a well taken penalty in the 13th minute, and Shaun Jeffers (40) doubled the lead just before the break.

Jeffers then set up the third, threading through Andrade (49) to round the goalkeeper and get his second of the afternoon. 

Managed by former Wood gaffer Ian Allinson, St Albans grabbed a 66th minute consolation, as Zane Banton struck from inside the box.

Luke Garrard stuck with his tried and trusted 3-5-2 formation, with Angelo Balanta returning behind the strikers and Jeffers pairing Andrade up top.

The Wood didn’t have to wait long to open the scoring, as Tom Gardiner hauled down Jeffers in the area. Andrade stepped up and confidently slotted past Dean Snedker from the spot.

The home side almost equalised shortly after when the Wood failed to clear Soloman Sambou’s cross, the ball was thumped at Grant Smith several times, before David Stephens eventually got it away.

Bolstered by his early strike, Bruno Andrade charged forward and attempted to meet a long ball up field, but Tom Bender fired clear

Banton was causing problems for the visiting defence, and he cut inside and thrashed low at Smith, but it struck a Wood leg and went out for a corner.

Making his return from injury, Balanta met Smith’s dipping cross, but his feet were tangled and St Albans were able to hit clear.

Jeffers was then found down the middle, but he looked up and fizzled his strike wide.

Banton cut inside again and launched another low effort from 25-yards, but it was well saved by Smith.

Charlie Walker found himself one-on-one with Smith, but as he went to strike, Tom Champion picked it from his feet and Smith pushed away.

Desperate for a second of the match, Andrade danced past two defenders and flashed a long-range strike at goal, but his powered effort was blocked by Gardiner.

Banton cut inside from the right, and looked for goal, but he was battled off the ball by Ricky Shakes, who cleared for a corner.

Boreham Wood then got their second, as Jeffers received the ball from Balanta, twisted and struck powerfully past Snedker.

The Wood could have added another, just a few minutes later, with an effort from Balanta. The visitors had countered, but Balanta’s shot was brushed wide.

Jeffers then went close again himself, Smith delivered low into the box, but Jeffers could only hit the Woodwork from close range.

It was three shortly into the second half, as Andrade got his second of the match. The forward met a stunning through ball from Jeffers, rounded Snedker and slotted into the empty net, sending the Wood Army into raptures.

The match settled following the goal, as the Wood sat back and looked to protect their lead. Andrade cut inside and blasted a shot from the edge of the area, but it was blocked by Gardiner and hit away.

The Saints eventually found a way through the stubborn away defence, Banton found himself with space in the area and thrashed home from close range.

However, the home side failed to make the momentum count; Noble went closest for St Albans, but placed his shot wide.

The Wood XI: G Smith, K Smith, Ricketts (C), Stephens, Shakes, Champion, Murtagh (Turgott 83), Andrade, Jeffers (Holman 64’), Balanta (Woodards 74’)  

Subs not used: Bozkurt, Benson, Turley, Thomas

St Albans: Snedker, Herd, Bender, Noble (C), Gardiner, Joseph, Murrell-Williamson (Eshun 83), Sambou, Walker (Merson 64’), Kiangebeni, Banton

Subs not used: Lucien, Eadie, Joyce-Dwarika


The Wood: Andrade 12’, Jeffers 40’, Andrade 49’

St Albans: Banton 66’

 Attendance: 1,418



Share This