Jamal Fyfield netted his second goal in as many games, as Boreham Wood beat Chesterfield 1-0 at home on Tuesday night.

The centre-back headed the Wood in front in the first half, after a fast start from Luke Garrard’s side.

The Wood then held on, despite a second half onslaught from the Spireites, to take all three points for the third time in four games.

Ryan Huddart was the only change to the side, with Joshua Umerah and Sorba Thomas once again starting upfront together.

The Wood made a lightning fast start and Thomas drove towards the away area early on and caught Callum Burton off-guard in goal, who had dashed off his line, but Thomas dragged the ball back instead of shooting and Chesterfield cleared.

However, they were ahead just two minutes later. Keiran Murtagh’s cross was punched out of the area by Burton and Ricketts kept it alive with a header back into the box, which Fyfield looped over the ‘keeper and in.

Chesterfield reacted well, and Lee Shaw beat Fyfield on the counter attack, but Huddart made a superb low save, from the striker’s driven shot.

A lovely back-flick from Thomas fed Shakes down the right channel, but his low cross was caught by Burton.

Joshua Umerah then saw a twisted effort blocked wide, with the corner proving fruitless.

With the match creeping towards halftime, Ricketts hooked Femi Ilesanmi’s blocked cross into the path of Angelo Balanta, who fired a vicious long-range effort inches over the crossbar.

The Spireites started the half brightly, but the Wood were defending the early onslaught defiantly. Haydn Hollis nodded wide of the right post from Drew Talbot’s cross, with their first effort of the second half.

Zavon Hines then beat Ricky Shakes on the left of the penalty area and dragged the ball across the box, but somehow Fyfield fired it clear, with a number of Chesterfield attackers lurking.

The former West Ham winger then struck the post with a powerful free-kick and Curtis Weston’s rebounded effort was blocked clear.

Shaw was then played through by substitute Levi Amantchi and he beat Huddart from close-range, but he also beat the right post, with his effort sliding wide.

The Wood reacted with a similar chance of the other end, but Umerah also slotted his effort wide of the post.

Justin Shaibu had taken to the field as the Wood continued to push to hold on to the lead and thumped a strong long-range effort at Burton, who spilled the strike, but managed to beat Umerah to the loose ball.

With just seconds left on the clock., Ryan Huddart made a match winning save, when he denied Weston from close range, clawing the ball out of the top corner.

The Wood: Huddart, Ilesanmi, Ricketts ©, Stephens, Shakes, Champion (Parry 84’), Umerah, Murtagh, Fyfield, Thomas (Shaibu 55’), Balanta  

Subs not used: Burbidge, Ash, Smith

Chesterfield: Burton, Binnom-Williams (Reid 69’), Maguire, Weston, Shaw, Hines, Nelson, Weir © (Barry 45’), Hollis, Talbot, Fortune (Amantchi 69’)

Subs not used: Evans, Rowley

Attendance: 737 (244 away)

Goals: Fyfield 8’


Share This