Blue Square Bet South 

Boreham Wood    1    Salisbury City    1

by John Mead

Having met just fifty-two hours previously it was no surprise that both sides knew enough to cancel each other out, with a draw a fair result on the evening.

City would have been pleased with their point, whilst Wood boss Ian Allinson was “delighted with my players after such a grueling fixture list.    We have just had five away games and just two at home in the last twenty-three days and we have lost just once.    That we looked a little tired tonight was understandable but I cannot fault the commitment of what is a great little Squad that I am managing. We came away from Salisbury City with a great win having played out the second half with ten men and I would certainly have taken four points from six before these two back to back games.”

Mauro Vilhete had a shot cleared off the line after just three minutes as Wood started well. However it was down to Luke Garrard to reciprocate at the other end just three minutes later when Elvijs Putnins failed to hold his save.    Both Stuart Sinclair and Marvin Williams recorded shots on the Wood goal as the visitors looked to atone for their poor result two days earlier.

Charlie O’Loughlin headed just wide from a Graeme Montgomery corner before Omer Riza set up Montgomery whose shot was deflected for a corner.    City had obviously targeted Riza as a threat with swarms of defenders buzzing around him.    However he showed his skills from a free kick out on the left hitting a sizzling drive that crashed off the left hand post back into play.

The Whites took the lead from a similar position after fifty-eight minutes.    Substitute Charlie Losasso drilled home a low shot from a free kick twenty-five yards out on the left, which beat Putnins going in off the left hand post.

The game needed a goal and a second came just six minutes later.    Vilhete danced along the goal line past three defenders finding Riza who unlocked himself from his shackles to drill home with power from just eight yards out.    It was the thirty-two year old’s fourth goal in seven starts.

Vilhete was a real live wire on the evening with superb quick feet and an energy that took him through to the final whistle, having played just the first half down in Wiltshire.    Omar Beckles who was an able replacement for Daniel Brathwaite at left back went close with a header from another Montgomery corner as Wood looked the likelier to grab all three points in the closing stages.

A low thirty yard shot from Garrard went just wide, Vilhete hit a dipping drive from just outside the area, whilst Wood were resolutely defending corners at the other end.

On the injury front Mark Jones is nearing match fitness which is good news with Daniel Brathwaite out for the rest of the Season with torn ankle ligaments.    Captain Mario Noto is recovering from a hamstring and could be available in seven to ten days time.

Team:    Putnins, Sankofa, Beckles, Garrard, Reynolds, O’Loughlin, Vilhete, Cox, Bryant, Riza (Sub – Hutton 67 mins.), Montgomery.

Subs (Not used):    Rubinia, Close, Hunter, Jordan.

Goals:    Salisbury City:    Losasso 58.            Boreham Wood:    Riza 64.

Man of the Match:    Mauro Vilhete.


Share This