Maidenhead United 2-0 Boreham Wood
Saturday 19 February 2022
York Road, Vanarama National League


On a cold blustery afternoon in Berkshire in front of the BT Sport cameras, Boreham Wood came unstuck in a game that they largely dominated, against a resolute Maidenhead United who scored a goal in both halves to win 2-0.

Luke Garrard kept the same starting line-up that was successful against Altrincham on Tuesday evening, as well as the same bench, as he looked to take advantage of Chesterfield’s slip up to go level on points with the Spireites in 2nd place, whilst also attempting to stay in touch with the rampant Stockport County.

Buoyed on by a bumper crowd, Maidenhead had the best of things early on as Dan Sparkes was having a lot of joy down the left-hand side and put in a couple of teasing crosses but they were dealt with well by a strong Boreham Wood defence.

Wood had the first chance of the game on fourteen minutes when David Stephens headed narrowly wide from a Josh Rees corner. Four minutes later Boreham Wood came close again, but United keeper Dan Gyollai denied Josh Rees, James Comley and Tyrone Marsh in quick succession. Wood had another chance soon after when Kane Smith’s lovely curling effort crashed off the Maidenhead crossbar when it seemed destined for the top corner.

The Magpies threatened soon afterwards when Josh Kelly shot straight at Taye Ashby-Hammond when through on goal. However, Kelly made no mistake on 33 minutes when, after a terrific run, he gave former Magpie’s keeper Ashby-Hammond no chance with a well struck shot that nestled in the far bottom right corner. The match was scrappy for the rest of the first period where Boreham Wood huffed and puffed but couldn’t break down a stubborn Magpies defence.

The second half was played with Boreham Wood very much on the front foot looking for the equaliser. Half time substitute Dennon Lewis made an instant impact for Wood when he went on a mazy run and created a chance for Jacob Mendy Mendy whose shot was blocked when it looked like going in. On 57 minutes, Connor Stevens headed wide when well placed. On 68 minutes Wood should have drawn level when Adrian Clifton was played through by Danilo Orsi but the former Maidenhead forward shot straight at Dan Gyollai with the goal gaping.

With nine minutes left, another former Maidenhead player Danilo Orsi had his half volleyed effort well saved by Gyollai. Three minutes later though, Maidenhead made sure of the points when a well struck Ryan Upward volley was diverted by Magpie’s forward Nathan Blissett to make it 2-0.

Maidenhead were well organised and hard to break down. It’s no surprise they have beaten promotion chasing Chesterfield and FC Halifax Town at York Road in recent months. Despite dominating large parts of the game and creating numerous chances, it wasn’t to be for Luke Garrard’s men who suffered their first league defeat since 23rd October. Garrard will no doubt want to get back to winning ways on Tuesday night with a touch trip to in form Torquay United.

Maidenhead United: Gyollai, De Havilland, Clerima, Sparkes, Massey, Beckwith, Sheckleford, Upward (Donnellan 90’), Kelly (McCoulsky 82’), Adams (Ferdinand 77’), Blissett.

Subs not used: Parry, Smith.

Boreham Wood: Ashby-Hammond, K Smith (Lewis 46’), Stephens, Evans, Stevens, Mendy Mendy, Ricketts, Comley (Orsi 46’), Rees, Boden (Clifton 67’), Marsh.

Subs not used: Reckord, Raymond.

Man of the Match: Josh Rees.



Share This